Upgrading old filtration system

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Cross6236

by Cross6236

I recently bought a complete 55 gal system (used) fish and all for $150. The filtration system is a (HOB) style. It's so old looking, I can't even find out who makes it. Anyways I went out today and bought a EHEIM External Canister Filter system. Boy I can see why everyone likes them. My question is should i leave the old system running for awile till the new system can develop it's own beneficial bacteria?

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Yes, Leave it run as long as possible it will help with the new bacteria. Plus if anything it don't hurt, it may just look ugly for a bit. I would recommed at least a month if not a touch over. It may be a little long but better then a little short.

zambize

by zambize

Definitely keep it running for as long as you can. Personally, I like to keep two filters running all the time. If one craps out, and it has happened, I still have one running, and my tanks are sparkling all the time. I also have an "extra" filter any time I want to use one to seed a new tank, and I use this method to rapid cycle new tanks frequently. I just cycled a tank in 5 days borrowing an existing filter and a few handfuls of substrate from a long-running tank along with the product "Cycle".

Z

Cross6236

by Cross6236

Hey thanks for the info you two. It's been about 20 years since I had to get out of the hobby. Now that the kids are grown, i've got the room and the time to get back into the hobby. Who knows I might just do like Terry Bradshaw did in the movie Failure to Launch. Make me a naked room LOL (just kidding). Zambize you answered my next question also.I was thinking that I may have to get another one. I had it on by itself for a few hours and had good flow on one side, but the other side was a big dead spot

4 posts