plant melting....?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

burtonboarder

plant melting....?

by burtonboarder

I just bought a corkscrew vallisneria http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... catid=1624

and it continues to melt a bit more day by day, just like disapears at night, and turns like a slimy brown colour...
I have 2.4 WPG and flourite gravel, and use flourish, and flourish excel, and flourish iron. not that big of a deal, just wanna know :P

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

how long have you had them? In my experience most of the leaves that were on the plants in the store died off but they continued to shoot out new plants which grew normally. I also have jungle vals in my 30gal hex which get so tall (roughly 3' in length) they get algae on them and the tops die off which is fine, otherwise they'd block out the light from new sprouts.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I don't know if it was just me but, I was recommended flourish excel, and within a week it had melted half my plants! I lost all my anubis (which are hard to kill) all my Vals and my amazons started getting bad too. That stuff just melted all those plants :-( I will never use it again!

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

stop using the excell, and clip the plants back, any dead or even remotely dead looking leaves need to be clipped off, do a partial water change, and try not to disturb the root structure, the problem with excel is that it can actually burn the leaves, causing fast rot, ie the slimy green kind that looks like the plant is melting, bring up your co2 level a little bit, and use root spikes nutrient/fertilizer spikes. push them in near the base the plant, this should cull the root decay, and speed up the recovery time for the plants.

Hope this helps,
Brandon

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Do you have any form of activated carbon, carbon, or purigen in your filtration? Everytime I've used any of the above products in my planted tank, the plants have disintergrated.

burtonboarder

by burtonboarder

excel has carbon in it. but im making a DIY c02 system at the moment. lol chemicals suck

burtonboarder

by burtonboarder

can you just blow througha straw into your tank for c02, we do exhale it so... lol i tried it out...

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

It wouldn't be lack of CO2 thats causing your problem....definately get rid of any carbon product when growing plants.

burtonboarder

by burtonboarder

Okay. Done. What a waste of 20 bucks... Is flourish iron okay...

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

LOL blowing in the fish tank, huh? Is that the new DIY CO2 solution? I'm going to see if i can hire a couple kids from the neighborhood to do it...put them on 2 hour shifts maybe...

plant melting....?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2