Have you had a Paradisefish, especially w/ Bolivian Rams?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

zambize

by zambize

I have 2 male Paradisefish with 3 Bolivian Rams in a 29 gallon tank and so far the two species ignore each other and only grumble inter-species. The guy at the lfs told me that the 2 male Paradisefish would do fine together, but after more extended research and after observing them, I don't think so. I'm taking the more dominant of the two back.

None of them are full grown. I'm more familiar with the Rams, not so much with the Paradisefish, anyone had one? Anyone know of any other fish that may be compatible or should I just stick with these four? I was thinking of maybe a Kribensis?

Thanks,
Zambize

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Hey Zam, I don't know about paradise fish, but I do know Rams. They get along great with anything :-) I did get a male Kribensis one time, loved his color! But, after a few days, when he got comfortable, he started really picking on my Rams. My male Ram is almost 4" and this little guy was only 1 1/2" at the time and still harassed my Ram to no end. He wanted to take over the whole tank. This may not be the case for you because your tank is bigger. I just wanted to let you know what happened to me.

zambize

by zambize

Thanks Dizz, I don't want anyone picking on my Rams! My Rams are just a hair over 2" right now. My Paradisefish are about the same size. I'm wondering if any algae-eaters are safe such as otocinclus or a pleco? I wouldn't expect the Rams to bother them, but I'm not sure about the Paradisefish. Perhaps someone out there knows?

Z

burtonboarder

by burtonboarder

All I can say with my experience is that they are really aggresiive. It ate like 7 of my fish until I took it back...

zambize

by zambize

Burton - what kind of fish did it eat and how big was it when it did that?

Thanks

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

My otos take a small beating from my male GBR from time to time, but as I've always said he's far more bark than bite. As I understand it Bolivians are a bit more tolerant of their neighbors than GBRs. Your paradise fish would probably ignore the otos.

You'll need a special pleco if you want him in a 29gal. Bushy-nose plecos stay 5-6" max, and unlike most other small plecos they're relatively cheap -- I guess cause they're kinda ugly. Most species of pleco will always need driftwood as a diet supplement.

zambize

by zambize

My lfs takes larger plecos in trade and gives credit toward buying smaller ones when they've outgrown a tank. I'm not crazy about buying a fish knowing that I'll be returning it, but this lfs is very good and takes great care of their fish. I also know that the pleco will be in very good hands while I have it...and I'm hoping that people who buy the larger plecos, which mine are when I return them, know better what they are getting into than the "typical" shopper who may be buying that cute 2" pleco. So overall, I think (hope) my plecos are getting a pretty good deal in the long run.

I added a Kribensis to the mix today....he's hiding. We'll see how that goes.

Z

7 posts