New CO2 setup causing plants to die??

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I bought a CO2 setup and got it running back on March 1st. Actually, started it Feb 21st, but the diffuser was broke and only releasing a big bubble every half hour. March 1st is when I got the replacement diffuser. Since then my Amazons are going crazy, a couple little ones are growing good. BUT, a few have died on me! I had a Lace Java Fern that I got as a tiny bud that I had grown out to about 6" leaves that turned completely brown and died, all but a small piece of new root/stem, which I am keeping on the hopes it will regrow. The plant died within 2 days! I bought 2 new stem/bunch plant groupings. One of them died off within a week (not surprised, have had this happen before) and another is slowly dieing from the bottom up. This second one is growing new shoots/leaves at the top of it, but the stem in the plant anchor is dying, and creeping upwards. I need an anchor on the ends to keep my Rams from constantly uprooting them since there is no roots to hold them down. The roots grow out the sides of the stem all the way up. If anyone knows of a way to keep stem plants rooted in the sand, please tell me!

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Instead of new growth I was expecting, I am getting die off. Do the plants just need to get used to it? I was advised by the LFS to cut back on the ferts for awhile so I don't overwhelm the plants, so I have (after the die off started).

Not sure the exact CO2 level, but I am getting 1 bubble every 2 minutes in the counter and the bubbles coming out of the diffuser are tiny. I have been leaving my air wand on during the day the past week hoping that will help cut down the CO2 levels until the plants get used to it.

So, the swords; Amazons, Melon, a couple I forgot what they are because the died down to small leaves from lack of CO2 and Java Moss are really growing good, but others are dieing off.

Any advice? Is this normal with a new CO2 setup? No stress in the fish, in fact had a spawning since I started CO2. pH has dropped some, from 7.4 to below 7.0, but slowly over a 3 week period. Actually longer because I had it running starting Feb 21, but the diffuser was broke and only releasing a big bubble every half hour.

I really want to save that stem plant! Its a Broad Leaf Ludwigia Reopens, with pretty green leaves that are purple underneath. I was hoping to line one whole side of the tank with it.

Help?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Hello? Where are the CO2 peoples??
I need your input please :-)

aaronnorth

by aaronnorth

i have never experienced it but that is minaly because i have run CO2 from the very start of all my tanks life.
CO2 wont be a direct result of the die off, i would put it down to the water chemistry changing, and the plants just taking time to adapt. I would cut off on the fertilisers though.

EDIT: You also need to buy a drop checker & 4dkh liquid to measure the CO2 levels.

3 posts