Brown/Green algae HUGE problems

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

I need help I got a 55 gallon planted tank, I got 2 small pleco, 2 loaches. no CO2 phosphate level is fine and PH is fine. I do a water change with RO water once a week about 15 gallons and add nutrients.

My questions is why do I got so much brown hair algae and starting to get green algae every where some plants look really thin like there dieing?

Am i doing too many water changes and adding too much nutrients? Help please

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

There are 2 main causes of algae growth - too much food or too much light.

If you are adding nutrients according to the instructions, they shouldn't be a problem.

However you may be feeding your fish too much; as the fish is also a nutrient. If you've only got those 4 fish in the tank, you barely need to feed them...especially with all the algae which the plecos will eat.

Lighting normally has a lot to do with algae growth...how much light do you have, and how many hours a day are your lights on? Is the tank near natural light?

Weekly water changs are fine...in fact while you have an algae problem you could even consider increasing the water changes, but this is optional, not necessary.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

I have 4 flourscent shop lights you get at lowes, total power is 160 watts, bought in December, I had them on for about 10 ½ hours and back down to almost 8 hours, I did a 10 gallon water change and added no nutrients so if there was too much I could back off a little….what’s your thoughts?

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Your lighting doesn't sound excessive, provided that your tank is not getting natural light as well. But don't put your lights on any more then 8 hours...in fact while you've got this algae problem maybe drop the hours even less and use the lights more for viewing then growing.

Are you using liquid fertlisers? If so, maybe try swapping to tablets which you can plant at the roots and that way the plants will be benefiting rather then all the algae spores.

Have you tried algaefix or algaecure?

Also: are you using any form of carbon in your filters? Carbon doesn't effect algae growth but you mentioned that you plants are getting wafer thin and snapping - I've tried carbon twice and both times this has happened to my plants. Just a thought...maybe the plants are dying because of this, not the algae.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

I did just change my filters which do have carbon in them. just walmart brand filter. As far as the lighting I will attempt to cut back.

For the nutrients. I use tablets that go in the roots. Then I use RO water with only the good nutrients added back in. I bought my plants from a place that just does freshwater plants and that was what they recommeded to me. now the algae has been kicking me.. I just got over a brown algae boom like 3 weeks ago.

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

I'd say that the carbon is stripping all the nutrients out of your water, rendering your fertiliser tabs useless. Thats why your plants are suffering.

How much food are you feeding your fish? What sort of loaches have you got?

adehaan86

by adehaan86

I got clown loaches, and carbon really strips all my nutrients?

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Yes it does.

Did you see my pm to you?

adehaan86

by adehaan86

ya, haven't had a chance to check it out

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

No prob - carbon works so well in clearing up the water that it removes everything including the trace elements etc that your plants need as food. Like I said, I tried it twice and both times my plants went down hill quite quickly.

10 posts