Shy Royal Pleco.

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

zum14

Shy Royal Pleco.

by zum14

Just curious if anyone else has a really shy royal pleco, mine will only come out after my lights go out and all the room lights are out (i have lunar lights to watch the tank) and if I make any sudden movements like walk by the tank, hes gone back up under a piece of driftwood where he spends his whole day, i understand there nocturnal but was wondering if there was anything i could do to try to help him relax? Sucks i paid 50$ for him and he was 1/2 price! and i can barely see him, its more i just want to see him eat and such to make sure hes good and healthy. Hes been in the tank for a week now. Seems to go for the malaysian wood alot more then the mopani.

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Hi zum...I haven't had experience with those plecos as such but I know it can sometimes take fish a long time to settle into theis new home. A week is not long at all! I would suggest that you simply be patient and I'm sure you wont have wasted your money.

zum14

by zum14

sounds good, thanks.

zambize

by zambize

I agree, just wait a bit. He'll probably come around. Especially if you find a food he really, really likes and feed it around the same time every day. My Striped Raphael Catfish is *supposed* to be shy, some people don't see theirs for a month at a time, but if I drop in carnivorous pellets....he can't help himself, he'll come out for them.

Zambize

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Yeah most plecos are relatively seclusive and spend more time attatched to things than they do swimming or being active whch comes more naturally at night, but its a given once a fish gets settled in you'll see at least a little more of them.

Thats interesting Z. lol There's nothing I put in for mine he seems interested in by day -- even bloodworms. SRC's are considered nocturnal. He just sits in his cave and eats whatever blows in there from the current. I also add sinking veggie tablets just before lights off. I'll have to try the carnivore ones. He was much much more bold before I removed his two buddies. Now that he's getting larger though I think I've lost a few amano shrimp...in fact I can't remember the last time I saw one...I had 8. lol

zambize

by zambize

Yup, SRC's are pretty aggressive toward anything smaller than them. They'll eat African Dwarf Frogs, too. As well as small fish. Watch out!

I've got some female guppies that are remarkably good hunters, too. *Guppies* They just wiped out a population of cherry shrimp before I knew what was happening. The shrimp were half the size of the guppies. These guppies are particularly voracious eaters, but geez. Those were not feeder shrimp! lol

Z

Shy Royal Pleco.

6 posts