Starting my first fish tank!! HELP!!

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

crs1988

by crs1988

I am looking into starting a freshwater fish tank...

I currently have snakes which i am getting rid of because of my landlord..

I Have a 150 gallon tank...

Just curious about what i will need to get it started...
like filters, air pumps or etc.. i have no idea!

vwfan79

by vwfan79

Well as far as filters go the options are basically endless... a canister filter would work really good for a tank that size, you want to cycle your tank between 5 and 8 times an hour....meaning no less than 750gph, which may require more than one filter....I don't use air pumps I get enough oxygen through my filters.....Lights you'll want either florescent or something like T-5 or T-8 bulbs.....a nice powerful powerhead for added water flow might be required.....and depending on the fish being kept will determine your decor..... you'll want to read up cycling your tank and follow that process before adding fish.....good luck and ask lots of questions, this site is a really good place to get answers

crs1988

by crs1988

thanks... appreciate the help

crs1988

by crs1988

what kind of filters do u suggest? i was told to use Eheim or somethin like that

vwfan79

by vwfan79

Ya thats a good brand, Fluval and Magnum are also good ones.... I personally like Aquaclear filters, they are HOB (hang on back) style filters with canister features and power.....the 110 model does 500gph you could use 2 of those and have plenty of filtration, better to over filter than under filter....I run a homemade wet/dry system....2 aquaclear 110s would run you about $150, where a good canister filter is going to run you closer to $200....Check out http://www.drsfostersmith.com/
there is alot of good stuff there and you can find stuff for really cheap too

crs1988

by crs1988

thanks.. appreciate the help

tomargir

by tomargir

If you have money to spare go for a wet/dry trickle filter. They are the only filters that can provide the necessary anaerobic conditions for denitrifying bacteria to develop. In 3 words: The best choice.

For details on how to cycle your tank read this http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/phpbb/viewtopic/2662

Indispensable equipment are a filter, a thermostat, lighting tubes. Then according to your fish needs you may want some water pumps to create currents, air stones, special lighting etc.
A good rule to remember is: read before you buy. It will save you lots of money and effort.

Picture how you want your tank to look and then plan how you will accomplish your thoughts. Good luck.

7 posts