Tips for cleaning fake plants?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

charismarl

by charismarl

I have a good bit of fake plants in my tank and have found that simply scrubbing them doesn't quite do the trick. I read the discussion on using bleach but that makes me nervous and I think I'd like to avoid that if possible but still find a more thorough way to clean my fake plants. Any suggestions?

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

I soak in hot water to kill bacteria on them then rinse them under a steady current and toss em back in. You might get more algae in my tank as I have about 1/2wpg.

tomargir

by tomargir

You didn't mention if you are talking about plastic plants. Plastic plants become really really nasty after some time in the tank. I prefer artificial plants made of fabric. They look more natural and "stain" less.
And as far as i am concerned there is no way you can clean dirty plants effectively. Buy new ones. And don't use bleach. You don't want that thing getting into the tank (unless you are willing to pass half of the day rinsing the bleached plants).

nikoloose

by nikoloose

I used to have loads of fake plants myself, to be honest they loose there good looks after a few months, id suggest not really buying them. But like tomargir said fabric plants do seem to look more natural, and they also dont stain as badly as the plastic ones. i dont think ill ever buy fake plastic plants again.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

you can purchase olive nerite snails that will clean all your fake plants...wha-la, problem solved!!!

akakai

by akakai

I'm quite curious about this as well, coz no matter how hard I scrub those plastic fellows, can't get the stains off! And can't go with real plants coz yah, my oscars have a field day uprooting them and tearing them to shreds!

6 posts