Fish are dying in my tank!

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

zambize

by zambize

I had a platy exhibit odd behavior and then die. Now a swordtail is doing the same thing. The fish is thrashing, sort of arcing its body from side to side and gulping a lot. It seems to have poor color, too. Does this sound like any disease or illness? The water parameters are normal. I'm worried that this could run through my tank and kill many fish.

Thanks!

jweb

by jweb

not enough oxygen in your tank???

any parasites on fish???

sounds like you would be able to notice whatever is wrong with your fish, if the symptoms are that noticeable.

zambize

by zambize

I can't imagine why there wouldn't be enough oxygen. I don't see any parasites or marks of any kind.

tomargir

by tomargir

"The fish is thrashing, sort of arcing its body from side to side and gulping a lot"

These can be signs of acidocis or alkalosis. However you say that water parameters are ok. Copper and zinc poisoning could also be the case. You didn't mention how the fish were in the tank before presenting the symptoms.

"It seems to have poor color, too"

Pigment loss is a symptom of many diseases. Take close-up pictures of the fish and send them to wetwebmedia.com
There are differences in pigmentation loss. For instance the skin might turn whitish or it might turn brownish. In other cases it just looses its color without any patches growing underneath.

The best thing you have to do is quarantine the fish that have already presented the symptoms and check for all possible chemical poisonings, to eliminate the risk of other fish becoming infected.
Then consult an expert.

I hope you find your way out of this. Your tanks are fantastic!

4 posts