convict fry

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mandyf

convict fry

by mandyf

i have about 50 fry in a community tank. What can i do if they survive in that number. My tank is run on nature's rules with as little human involvement as possible except cleaning of course. And for those who will say it

1. yes i know its crowded
2. yes i know my fish will get big
3. yes i know my convicts breed like rabbits
4. my tank with the forest rocks has been running for years
5. yes decos will be removed as sizes get bigger

I want a full looking tank so i was counting on babies.. i really don't want to use them as feeders if i don't have to. any suggestions

btw can i have a consensis on my lfs midas, i think its a devil whats your bet.
0cf4d-Picture 002.jpg
17189-Picture 006.jpg
d3dd7-Picture 011.jpg
23951-Picture 010.jpg
4b84c-Picture 009.jpg

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Hi Mandy,
What you can do is call around to your lfs and ask them if they want the fry when they get bigger. That is what I do. Most lfs will only give you store credit, but that helps too. :-) With the other fish in the tank I would guess that you will probably only get a couple, if that, to make it to any size, because they will get ate. With that many fry the parents will have a hard time keeping them herded up when they start to get adventuress. You could put a divider up with the parents and fry on one side and the other fish on the other side to help keep the fry safe. I do that and when they are big enough I put them in a 10 gallon tank to grow out in.

Good luck!

mandyf

by mandyf

thankyou for your reply. I was told by other breeders that LFS' won't take them because they breed to easy.
So I thought that that might not have been an option for me but I will try anyway.
3dc1d-Picture 002.jpg

Serial324556

by Serial324556

It's a very slim chance for them to survive in that number. Out of all the fish in the tank the one that will end up eating them is the mother. I only have 3 fish in a 29 gallon with lots of hiding spots (rocks, driftwood, fake plants). I have a small pleco and 2 convicts. Once a month the mother will have like 50 fry but she ends up eating them so she will have the strength to lay more eggs when shes ready again. I did have 1 small fry survive last round although now I cant find him(or her). But then again it is really small, I had 1 living in my filter one time haha.

mandyf

by mandyf

Wow i read they don't do that. In fact it's been seen that they protect them up to an inch and a half. Now i'm really afraid for the little guys. I expected casualties but not all by mom.

convict fry

5 posts