Plant bulbs question

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

esparzar1

Plant bulbs question

by esparzar1

So, I bought some plant bulbs from pet smart (like 6-8 bulbs for $3) that are “supposedly” guaranteed to grow in 30 days. I was wondering, do they actually work, how far down below the surface do I bury them and how long does it usually take to see them start growing? I figure, if they don’t grow, I’m only out $3…..no biggie. Any thoughts/help is appreciated.

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

I love your tank espar...it looks really neat!

Can't help you tho, I've never tried using bulbs in my planted tank. What plants are they?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I have had a couple bulb plants. Never grew any from just the bulb tho. I read that you need to bury them so the top 1/4 is left out of the sand. That is how I have always buried them.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

The only bulb plants i've ever had are dwarf lilys, which were already submerged at the store and only just starting to sprout. Many people just toss them in and let them roll around until they send roots down (still just talking about lilys here). I just gave mine a small nudge where I wanted them and within a week I had some nice leaves.
In the far left of my profile picture is one of these..this was after about 3 weeks of growth. It sends up these leaves that shoot for the surface which would actually be lily pads if I gave them the opportunity to reach it.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Plant bulbs question

5 posts