lunar lights

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

vwfan79

lunar lights

by vwfan79

I am ordering some moonlighting for my tank and I found some led units that are fairly cheap and seem like they will do the job....my questions are I have a 90 gallon tank will 4 units be enough.....and they come in blue (for nocturnal environment) and white (simulate full moon), I was thinking 2 of each and alternating them in the hood, would this be a good effect or should I go with one or the other......trying to give myself some night time viewing of my catfish who only seems to come out when the lights are off.

Heres a link to the lights
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=12760

zum14

by zum14

soon as the pics are done pending approval you can sort of see how mine looks. its tough to take a pic in the dark. its a 46 gal bowfront and i have 8 blue leds under my light hood and when you sit in the dark it lights up the bottom of tank alright, you would see anything swimming around. it seems to penetrate the water better where the surface is agitated by either a floating plant or bubbles. not sure about the white/blue as i only have blue. kinda think the blue might overpower but never know. I looked at those as well for mine but i went with some undercar ones i found at walmart for 10 bucks, there all sealed up in some nice plastic, made for under a car so rugged enough to handle a little bit of heat from the fluorescent. only holdback was 12V so i went over to the electronics department and got the smallest 12v power adapter and just wired it up.leds barely draw anything, it cost 30$ for everything and just as bright and since there individual i felt it was a little more adaptable but just my 2 cents. id imagine the ones your looking at would work very well and well its plug and play so easy right, i just like the diy stuff if itll save ya some coin.

bonese

by bonese

I have 4 Powerbrite led stripes. 3 white and blue and 1 white and i just take 3 off during the night. Gets a great night simulation effect with halgoens on the sand as well as the entire tank being illuminated (not all parts are bright but you can stil see them) although these little guys are expensive http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=18485

you need 1 strip witht the adapter and you will be able to run 3 more strips off of that one adpater. in totally geting 16 leds. really worth the money in my opinion.

shom6

by shom6

I have 3 foot marine glow bulb on my tank that a timer turns on for a couple of hours atfer my normal lights turn off. looks so good and u see my cory's and neons acting so differently. I havn't looked into LEDs are they Better?
9b68b-cropped moonlight.JPG

shom6

by shom6

I have 3 foot marine glow bulb on my tank that a timer turns on for a couple of hours atfer my normal lights turn off. looks so good and u see my cory's and neons acting so differently. I havn't looked into LEDs are they Better?
01182-cropped moonlight.JPG

lunar lights

5 posts