How many hours do you clean your tank a week!?!?

18 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Just wonderig how many hours many of you spend cleaning checking or messing with your tank? I never seem to be able to get on top if and just wondering what kinda of tips or tricks that would be recommeded to lower my time spending cleaning while I could do other stuff? Or even fish highly recommeded. I do have a 55 gallon planted tank with 2 clown loaches 2 suckers and 3 lil tropical fish.

jweb

by jweb

I have a few tanks, but I will be refer to my largest at this time (30 gallon). I spend about 2-5 hours a week cleaning my tank and adding new water. To make water changes faster you can pre-make dechlorinated water in jugs. Then when you water gets low or it comes time to do a water change just get a bucket, suck water out, and dump water in. This cuts the time by a lot, I can't tell you how many hours total I've probably stood at a sink waiting for water to fill a jug or bucket, haha.

You know those clown loaches can grow to 16 inches right (usually around 10 inches)? And if by suckers, you mean a common plecostamus, well i dont think they ever stop growing.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Im okay with large clown loaches if anything I can trade them at a local pet store for smaller, and the Pleco that I bought is suppose to be a smaller version.

I use RO water so i spend ALOT of time filling not a huge deal but right now All my stuff looks like CRAP because of algae. I also having dead part of plants floating. I'm so frustreted trying to keep take looking awesome like some of the people.

Another problem is that I have my tank held within a enclosure so easy access from the top is a program for my. I'm hoping the wife will let me get a new stand!

jweb

by jweb

Okay, well you gotta take those dead plants out. They aren't good to have decaying in an aquarium. I use algaefix for my cyanobacteria and did a 25% water change every 3 days and scrubbed my rocks, and it helped alot.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

first off what type and how much light do you have..... how often do you do water changes and how much do you change
what type of ferts do you use and do you have any c02
if you are using RO water you need to add at the min trace elements, ro is pure water an nothing else so your plants really have nothing to feed off, shy away from any type of chemicals if you can to do away with the alage depending on what type of alga it is there are several things you can do to stop it.....thoes chemicals to get rid of alage are loaded with copper most of the times and copper is horible on inverts, and bio filters...all it really does is replace one problem with another...

jweb

by jweb

algaefix doesn't have copper =)

adehaan86

by adehaan86

I got some shop lights from lowes, I have 160 watts in 55 gal tank. I use to do 15 gallons every 3 weeks but now I’m going to do about ten a week or so. As far as a fertizlar I just use a tablet that goes by the roots of the plants.

As far as RO. I put 100% RO in then put the good nutrients back in. As far as chemicals I got 3. All are seachem brand. I have one for the nutrients for RO water, then PH up and PH down.

Now I do use 2 plecos 2 clown loaches and A LOT of snails im trying to get rid of using the clown loaches.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

O for the algae Im using phoslock and then snails and algae eaters.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i think i might know what your problem is..... number one how old are your lights? and do you know what kelvin rating they are?
Floresents should be replaced every 6 -8 months even though they are still on they do not put out the full specrtum that they did when they were newer. this could cause alage, your ph um and ph down both contain phos ....which in turn will cause alage to grow it is like crack to them. as far as your kelvin rating goes i personally do 10000K simiulate the long days of summer. you could also try something like black water expert or filter through peat, but if you do this you need to remove carbon from your filter because carbon will take all or most of the nutrients from this out. you might also tru getting a big "nutrient hog" like an amazon soward........

adehaan86

by adehaan86

The lights are only maybe 2 months at the most or so ,and there 6700 K lights 4 of them. one is a redish tint made for plants(lowes brand LOL) and other is like a white kind

18 posts • Page 1 of 2