Does my fish have fungus????

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

joshheatherc

by joshheatherc

I just got 2 small suckers and a week after i bought them 1 of them started showing blotches of white stuff on his body and around his mouth. I treated this as a fungus and put the fungus tablet in the water. How long does it take before he is better and when should i clean my tank after using this stuff??? as you can see the directions on the packet were not very helpful....

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

5 days before it starts to take effect my FOWLR tank had some fungus and i set up a hospital tank (u may want to take into consideration in the future) so i put the sick fish in there its been 6days and im starting to see positive signs
Last edited by breaknrun911 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

in addition, when i add medicines to my tanks i take the carbon out of the filter in my opinion i would not change the water unless u start seeing signs of fungus on your other fish. (but that is a personal thought)

jweb

by jweb

Also, if you don't quarantine the fish and it dies, your other fish could begin to nip at it, then contract the disease as well. In most cases you never want to treat your entire aquarium if it is an isolated case.

charismarl

by charismarl

If the spots are white and small (like grains of salt), your fish probably has Ich which is a parasitic infection.

zambize

by zambize

You said it is "blotchy", so it is probably fungus. Ich is "specks". Did it look like pieces of a cotton ball? Different meds will work at different rates of speed. I just treated for fungus and the med I used implied that you could expect results in four days.

Z

tomargir

by tomargir

Never ever treat sick fish in the display tank. Always quarantine. As soon as your fish gets better (i mean fully healed) make a water change and add activated carbon to clean the remaining medication.

7 posts