issues

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

burtonboarder

issues

by burtonboarder

I have had any attempts with planted tanks, about 2.4 WPG (6700K)
canister filter and everything else like flourite gravel but nothign seems to be working...
the plants get algae within a day and I cant get it off the plant, eventualy it gorws so long and gross i just throw em out. and the water get blurry quickly, the plants barely grow and turn yellow and die....
I dont have C02 and only a monthly liquid fertilizer
and advice and thoughts would be great... I know i do aa lot of posts about this but...
lol

burtonboarder

by burtonboarder

heres a pic after 1 week of starting, and yes i did water changes
ee816-IMG_3036.JPG

jweb

by jweb

is it blue green (cyano) algae? I had/have a problem with this type of algae. It is hard to get rid of once its there, but with constant cleaning and water changes, it helps a lot.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

OK, first thing I notice is you only put ferts in once a month? They need it a couple times a week at least! That is why they are dieing on you. They are not growing fast enough and the algae is using up what ever nutrients is in the water.

I use Seachem Flourish, it is the best I have found to use. Even without CO2 or special lights they grow. Until I knew to use that all my plants did the same as yours. They don't grow fast, but the algae on them is at a minimum and they don't turn yellow.

Also, Otto Cats eat the algae off the leaves.

I will take the plant with the algae out of the tank and gently rub the algae off with my fingers under running water.

Here's the plant food. I have seen it at Petsmart: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=4652

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Not saying im a expert but far from it just what I believe/learned. Plants are fairly hard if you get algae or other junk growing in the tank check phosphate levels it can be a pain and it can kill your plants.

Also some ferts only need to be used once a month .

I use a fert tabs that go in by the roots which last about a month. Then I also use RO water(don't have to) then add the good nurtients back into the water. Again everybody has different ideas on plants. CO2 is not necessary unless you want plants to grow like weeds but your other stuff has to be calm too.

Make sure your PH is down as well. This is some of the issues I have had. Hope it helps

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Reading everything again. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommed checking phosphate sounds like one of your leading causes.

burtonboarder

by burtonboarder

thanks for all the help
we are moving so my tank had to be re done anyways...
was thinking of adding some C02 and more nutrients

and buying all new plants because they were infested with algae
any suggestions for some good hardy starting plants?

adehaan86

by adehaan86

This is what I did burtonboarder, I went to aquariumplants.com and told them my story like the setup and all that. They then recommended them to me.

burtonboarder

by burtonboarder

lol
thanks

adehaan86

by adehaan86

LOL, simple huh. Ya i went to petsmart and bought theres it looked cool for the first week then it bascially started dieing off slowly and always looked horrible I took it out and threw it away. Now a other local pet store has plants also but the problem is there selection is not much. Now order off the website is nice because of the selection but horrible because of shipping. If you don't order A lot I probably would not waste the time, I just choose them also because there warehouse is about ten miles from my house

issues

12 posts • Page 1 of 2