Texas Holey Rock

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

beachywoman

Texas Holey Rock

by beachywoman

I am new to this site. I am currently establishing a 72 gallon bowfront all glass aquarium. I am planning on stocking the tank with African Cichlids. I have seen many tanks with Texas Holey Rock in them. How do you safely stack these rocks together? Do they just sit on top of one another? I don't want to lean them against the back glass of my aquarium since they would scratch the glass. I will have to add a few at a time due to the cost of this stuff! Also is it ok that the filter tube is behind the rock?
Thanks for any help u can give me!!

vwfan79

by vwfan79

I have 100 pounds of holey rock in my tank and yes they are just stacked on top of each other and none are touching the glass. you can also epoxy them together. As far as the filter tube it is fine behind the rocks as long as there is enough space back there for it to do it's job.

beachywoman

by beachywoman

Thanks for your help. I just wanted to make sure that there were not going to fall and hurt the fish or the tank.

rmcardle8032

by rmcardle8032

Thanks for the comments on my site. I also stacked my Texas holey rock ( I got 62 PBS @ 3.49 per lb.) I still have one piece I did not use. 60lbs. Should be plenty for your tank. It did help having it all upfront, I was able to stack it all before adding water, plants, fish, etc but it is expensive. I did not use epoxy although I heard that was an option. My fish are 1" to 1.5" so they do not move rock or plants around much yet, but I hear when they get bigger,that can be an issue. Just keeping placing the rock so it fits snug and seems stable. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

beachywoman

by beachywoman

I recently purchased a Texas Holey Rock at my Local Pet shop. I am not sure of the weight but it cost me $27.00. Fortunately my boss used to live in texas and he is going back down for a visit soon and he is going to try to bring some back for me! Until then when my tank cycles and I am ready for a few fish I think I am going to get some cheap plant pots and put them in there.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

Just so you know, holey rock raises your ph because the rock is made of limestone, probably a good thing since A. cichlids like a high ph.

beachywoman

by beachywoman

I actually read that in an article. Thanks for the info. I am trying to read all that I can so I can provide the most stable environment. I am in the cycling process currently and my Nitrates are in the safe Range and the Nitrites have been in the Caution/stress (.5 - 2.0 ) range for about 4 days now. Does the Nitrites need to be higher than that for the Good Bacteria to have a healthy growth?

Texas Holey Rock

7 posts