DIY Co2

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

burtonboarder

DIY Co2

by burtonboarder

I was looking up how to make your own C02 system with the sugar and yeast and pop bottle. But I noticed that everyone uses a different outtake. Some people use airstones and others part of the gravel vacum, like a little chamber. I was wondering which method is the best way to mix it up and spread it out...

I was thinking of attaching it to my outtake for my canister filter, and then it would just blast the water out. Or I could put it right beside the intake and the bubbles would hopefully get sucked up and go through the filter and then be shot out...

just want to know the best way to do it...

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

putting it through your filter (setting air stone by intake) would probably just cause it to gas off quicker. The best method as I understand is using a wood air stone (for very fine bubbles) inside a glass diffuser. They look similar to a bell. The longer the CO2 stays in the water column the more gets absorbed into the water. Personally I have a bubble ladder which serves its purpose. By the time the released bubbles reach the top of the ladder they're a bit larger than a needle-head.

I think somewhere on youtube there's a good vid of someone who has a very efficient setup similar to the one I was speaking off with the bell diffuser.

levinheidi

by levinheidi

Here is a link to the diffuser on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg7fleqh ... re=related

I believe the guy is using a Hagen Elite Submersible Mini Filter and a glass lamp flute for the chamber. I just ordered the filter/pump today from Petco at the following link. This pump has a venturi valve which you connect your CO2 generator to. By closing the top of the chamber, the CO2 is circulated in the water and pushed out the bottom once dissolved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg7fleqh ... re=related

This looks like a great concept and I hope it works for me. I tried connecting the CO2 tube to the intake of my filter before, but I don't think it did much. GOOD LUCK!!

burtonboarder

by burtonboarder

thanks
all these suggestions look great, but about the bubble ladder, does it work well? I dont really want to buy another filter powerhead thing

levinheidi

by levinheidi

Yeah, I contemplated that too. I came across these diffusers the other day. Look like they work pretty well and they are cheap.

http://aqmagic.com/store/product_info.p ... ffuser-pot

burtonboarder

by burtonboarder

I found a bubble counter, but I dont really want to spend 20$ for the chamber when I can make on myself, could I buy the packets of c02 mix and put in the bottle, and just attch the bubble counter to the bottle?

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

this is what i do 1 gallon jug 1 1/2 packets active dry yeast. 6 cups sugar fill the gallon jug with the sugar fill with warm water shake and dissolve sugar then add yeast and stir. make sure that the water is not too hot or you will kill the yeast

DIY Co2

7 posts