I'm still learning....

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

joshheatherc

I'm still learning....

by joshheatherc

So thank you for all the feedback and advice on how and when to do water changes, it really helped. I'm still needing help with the whole meaning of a 20% water change? what does that even mean [%]???? And the water conditioner that i have is 1 teaspoon to every 10 gallons, so should i measure 10 gallons of the water that i take out, and then put that same amount in??? I'm so lost? I promise that i'm not blonde....lol

vwfan79

by vwfan79

Lets say you have a 100 gallon tank, doing a 20% water change would mean you empty and replace 20 gallons of water. I personally don't use any water conditioners so can't help much there, but I would imagine that you remove your 20% and treat the water as you replace it. If using a 5 gallon bucket you would add 1/2 teaspoon to every bucket you pour in.(I'm guessing thats how you would administer your water conditioner)

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Say you have a 55 gallon tank, you vacuum up crap and take out water until it looks about 1/4 empty of water. I never count gallons. You then put that amount back in. With the declor, just add the amount that the tank is. So in a 10 gallon, even tho you only took out say 2 gallons, still add that 1 tsp. In a 55, add in 5 1/2 tsp.

See what I mean? With my 20 gallon, I empty it is 3/4 full, then when I add the water back I would add 2 tsp of the stuff you have.

Did I make sense?

joshheatherc

by joshheatherc

So you take out about 1/4 of the water, then rplace it and add 5 1/2 tsp of cond. , even though 3/4 of the tank has treated water in it...So it you can't over condition your water?

levinheidi

by levinheidi

I'm not sure about overconditioning, but don't worry too much about exact measurements. If you take out 20-25% of the water for cleanings, just simply add back 20-25% of the water conditioner you used when filling your 55 gallon completely.

Now, don't get me wrong, some things require exact measurements, but water conditioner isn't an exact science from my experience.

joshheatherc

by joshheatherc

thank you for the word of advice...My first water change on my 55 gallon went really bad to say the least...I lost 2 fish from shock and my big bala shark jumped out of the bucket that i had him in, because i also replaced the gravel, and therefore took the fish out. Now my bala shark has a busted eye and doesn't act the same anymore...After everyone's advice i did my first water change on my 10 gallon goldfish tank and my fish are happy and healthy, and the tank looks awesome...

thanks

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

Make sure the temperature of the new water is close to the tank water temperature as this could have been the reason you shocked the fish.

dawgtrain

by dawgtrain

I use a kitchen size garbage can and vacume out usually 2 cans worth of water. I then take my hose and connect to sink. I make sure I get the temperature in line and with a pitcher( I put in a capful of my conditioner) I run with hose in pitcher to tank and pour it in....while hose still filling I may add another cap.....been working great for over a year now. I am not a frequent water tester but my fish are very happy.

I'm still learning....

8 posts