cichlid behavior

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

bonese

cichlid behavior

by bonese

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and its a great reference of information. I have set up my 2 tanks using the information given found through out the forums so thanks to everyone who has supplied it. My question is what is normal cichlid behavior. i know its a stupid question but i am interested in getting into there tanks as i have 2 planted tanks right now, will post pictures soon and will need constructive criticism on them. Thanks in advance

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Well, the behavior depends on what kind of cichlid. There are all kinds: New world, Old world, African, American. The one thing they all have in common is they are very good parents. Africans hold their eggs/fry in their mouths until they are old enough to go on their own, its called mouth brooding. Others build nests in the substrate, still others are secret cave spawners. The egg layers are very protective, so that is where you get the aggression from. Some pair up for life, some need one male to a bunch of females. Most will show some form of aggression all the time or while spawning.

For your planted tanks I suggest the South American kind. Africans and a lot of other kinds will just tear up or eat your plants.

Can you be more specific about what kind of cichlids? Its real hard to answer with the question being so general. :-)

Also, what size is the tank(s) you are wanting to put the cichlid in?

fishfreako

by fishfreako

all i got to say is that chichlids are pretty nasty to other kinds of fish. your gonna wanna have them in 6 chichlids to....... i don't know maby 20 30 gallons. i've never kept chilchlids, but there pretty cool fish.

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

They are not nasty fish, Im sorry but I find as long as they're kept in appropriate sized tanks(most cichlids require more than 30g) they are little angels. They are however oppotunistic feeders, so if they see a sick/dying fish, they might just go for it(again, depends on the cichlid).

Im more familiar with african cichlids but have kept SA/CA before. So just name a few fish you're interested in and we'll try to help. If you arent sure what cichlid to get for your tank, list the size of the tank and current filtration.

bonese

by bonese

im sorry guys but thank you for all the responses. I decided against the cichlid route as it wasnt much of my ideal setting, to each their own. I set up the new tank for my EBs and they love it as far as i can tell hopefully the semi aggressive community will work nicely, Im a big fan of the EB. They are the babies so they get all the TLC, in return they are not nasty to anyone and just keep chilling.

bonese

by bonese

Dizzcat i also have bolivian rams in a planted tank and am trying to breed. Any advice or basics as to courting colors or behaviour would be helpful, I have 3 of them but 2 look alike 1 looks diffrent (stripes verse no Stripes) Does that matter?

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

I know Im not dizzcat, but I kept BRs for a year so I might be able to help. Crystal clear water is a must when trying to keep these fish let alone breed them, so definately keep on top of water changes.

As for color, my male only when stressed showed bars, the female I had had very faint bars and got stressed really easily. The male will generally look better than the female, red along the fins and a nice a nice yellow belly. Oh, and these are pairing fish, so a trio might not work out.

bonese

by bonese

thank you burger i appreciate any advice. i have a formed pair or what i think is one in a 250g with a third male im guessing. most likely will go buy a female and introduce her slowly. I do a regular 25% water change every week. should it be more? Never over feed either. Is their a optimal temperture?

bonese

by bonese

Managed to find pictures of the two who i think are a pair, ive seen them swimming with one another while the other tries to get in between them he gets nipped at.
7069b-thumb-5.jpg
57ee5-thumb-6.jpg

Burgerking7679

by Burgerking7679

As long as the nitrates stay low and there is no ammonia in the water you shouldnt have to change your water change routine. I'd say keeping them anywhere from 77 F to 80F would be ok living conditions as they are warm water fish, but dizzcat may be able to specify what they prefer while breeding.

I dont think that adding another female would be a good idea, I dont know if there would be battles between males or anything, maybe dizzcat can answer that. Maybe a pair of another peaceful cichlid would work like an apisto but Im really not sure, I've never bred these guys.

cichlid behavior

11 posts • Page 1 of 2