what fish to add to my tank

21 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tory

by tory

i have a 38 gallon tank, i have a moonlight guorami and a blue spotted guorami. I need advice on what fish i could add that would mesh well with the two i arleady have.

ccury91

by ccury91

well there are two ways you can go with this, first one would be adding some community fish like neons, dianos, black skirts, or even guppies( be ready for babies), and the second route you could take would be trying to setup an aggersive tank by adding maybe oscars, jack dempsy, or even a green terror, but make sure you add them as fry and let them grow up with the guoramis, this method may take some time and patience so i would go with community for right now if your just starting off

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

do not add oscars green terrors or jack dempsy's they will kill your other fish and you tank is too small for them especially the oscars....... and you might me carefull with he black skirt they could nip at fins,
get something peacefull and laid back.

burgerking

by burgerking

Nevermind the death of the gouramis, an oscar will grow to 15", that's big in a 75g tank let alone a 38g. You could keep a more aggressive community tank however, adding fish like angels and other gouramis.

Gouramis are a great fish, tons of options with them and really hard to kill. You could just stick with general community fish(guppies, mollies, neons, swordtails, tetras etc).

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Ha! Perhaps the gouramis I purchased had some sort of gourami killing cancer or something. i somehow killed 6 of them in my 30gal tank which is now housing GBRs which last I checked are more needy as far as params. I really wish I could figure out what I did to all the gouramis...In any case I don't fancy the idea of getting another gourami. Guilty conscience and all..

burgerking

by burgerking

Lol, I guess everyone has different luck with different fish.

jeepjenn

by jeepjenn

in my 37 gallon i have 7 angels, a sucker which is about 2 inches and a couple gouramis, and i am still thinking about adding fish! i dont anticipate all the angels making it, there very small and young. a 38 gallon is plenty big enough to house alot and as long as u have plenty of cover u can add a mixture of semi aggressive fish and non aggresive, i also have a 40 gal breeder and i have a blood parrot barbs,tetra's angels, neons and a huge suckera couple mollies and 2 paradise gouramis and they all get along just fine, i also have alot of plants and a couple different structures for them to hide around.
Last edited by jeepjenn on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:23 am, edited 5 times in total.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

the is the worst advice that i have ever heard.....
and your 37 gallon is horribly overstocked... quit adding fish

jeepjenn

by jeepjenn

ok the angels are very young and small and prolly not all gonna make it and explain how 9 fish and a sucker are over crowded in a 37 gallon tank?
Last edited by jeepjenn on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeepjenn

by jeepjenn

and i was looking at ur 55 gallon and sounds to me like u got a lil over crowding goin on, based on ur comment of how many fish i have, and from now on sweetie just keep ur rude comments to urself! I didnt ask for ur advice and sounds like if i did id have a pretty boring tank.
Last edited by jeepjenn on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

21 posts • Page 1 of 3