aquqscaping

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

fishhead

aquqscaping

by fishhead

I am seeking any advice on trimming plants . I have been in the planted aquarium side of the hobby for about 6 weeks after 12 years of large cichlids and rocks. My current tank setup has rated higher than expected , and while I enjoy the overgrown jungle effect I believe that I will need to trim for the oveall health of the tank . I have been admiring the clean lines design of many of the top ranked tanks but do not know what is required to get there . Clearly they are spending more time on it than I have , but what specificaly are you doing ?
9e36c-rate my tank 010.jpg

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Plants, given they're receiving all the proper conditions -- lightning, co2, nutrients from substrate and water column, and trace elements from water changes can generally handle a ton of trimming unless they're slow growing.
The general rule of thumb I use is..if my undergrowth is starting to die, I cut everything stopping it from receiving light. The aquascaping ''experts'' you see in the top ranks use methods I'm not familiar with but seem to resemble shrubbery pruning. lol In some cases the most aesthetically appealing tanks don't really seem all that 'natural' to me, but they are indeed pleasing to the eye.

One of the easiest tricks I've noticed that aquascapers use is diagonal lines and grouping. They keep most species of the same kind grouped together (which is somewhat natural). They also use a natural sloping of plants. IE, something tall growing at the back, and as you work your way to the foreground you'll come into mid-level plants and finally things like dwarf hairgrass/mosses/dwarf baby tears/etc happening back-front and right-left or left-right. The diagonal lines created by this create a more ''dynamic perspective" which is a trick photographers use in landscapes often. There's also usually a decent amount of visible substrate to the center or one side to create contrast to all the plants. Or, sometimes its just completely grown over with carpet plantings. Many people also like to use a nice piece of driftwood to break up the plantings a bit and create some more contrast. If you have one in there, aplogies...its hard to see past the first inch of plants. lol

As long as you know what plants you have there's a great deal of readily available information on the web regarding each species and propogation. A lot of plants propogate by trimming, which is handy. Though it doesn't look like you need much propogation. :)

You have some nice looking growth in there.

fishhead

by fishhead

thanks for your input . I trimmed the tank today and gave a ton of starts to my sister . I think it looked better before ,oh well it will grow back quickly . Plant growth is easy growing it where you want it appears to be an art

aquqscaping

3 posts