Stocking help

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

bigfish0016429

Stocking help

by bigfish0016429

Hi, I have a 29 gallon tank that has alot of room for improvement. I would like to get some more fish for it but I would like them to be colorful and unique. My profile is wrong I currently have 3 platies 4 zebra danios and 2 lemon tetras in that tank. Please help if you have any suggestions.

giggity

by giggity

African cichlids, Moonlight Gourami, and Pearl Gouramis might be good for your tank. they are colorful and grow between 2 to 4 inches.

Hope this Helps!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

cichilids will devour the zebra danios...I have zebra danios, silver tip tetras...you should get some red wag platies, the ones with the black tail (I have these too), and you can purchase some frican warf frogs to control the platy livebearer fry (be sure it is african dwarf NOT african clawed or else all your fish will be gone)...Harlequin Rasboras are nice for your community tank (I have a community tank too), you can also purchase otocinclus catfish, not very colorful but cute little guys to clean up any algae lying around. Dr Fosters & Smith online can give you ideas on colorful fish, go to their live fish online store at live aquaria.com or go to the online site, That Pet Place, to its livestock section, also a great place for ideas.

I only purchase from these 2 web sites for live fish; live plants from aquaticplantdepot.

I hope this helps

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I could be wrong (cichlid noob) but I'm pretty sure there's a good number of african cichlids that get much larger than 4" and shouldn't be housed in a 29g.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

yeah africians should not be kept in a 29, it is not big enough fot them to establish territorties. and yes the rest of your fish would become lunch for them. i would just up the numbers of the fish tat you allready have the will be much happier in groups of 6 or more the danios and tetras for sure they are schooling fish.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I think a1 hit a vein here...sometimes the best answer is the most simple...
Many fish show more natural and entertaining behavior in schools like they're generally supposed to be in.
Flashy fish aren't really all that. In fact in some situations they may prove more problem then 'improvment'. For instance my german blue rams. My dominant male is so angry I put him in my tank with another male (my mistake) he likes to convince himself he can take on my striped raphael catfish nearly twice is size and armored like a tank...

dawgtrain

by dawgtrain

perhaps get a red tail shark and some gouramis ,neons, I think that the ciclids will eat everyone eventually,dont they eat plants? There are many fish to add with nice colors. Rainbows are nice too.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I agree with A1K8t3 add more of the fish you already have. Platies, danios and lemon tetras are all schooling fish that not only look better in schools (seven or more) but are happier and healthier as well. I'm not sure about the red tailed shark idea. I think they can be quite aggressive. Your current fish are all small, peaceful types so if you add more, make sure you choose tank mates that are also small and peaceful or they'll end up getting eaten. But again, i think just adding more of what you already have would be best.

Stocking help

8 posts