need pleco help!!!

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

vwfan79

need pleco help!!!

by vwfan79

I recently added a yellow seam pleco to my 90 gal African cichlid tank, about 2 weeks ago. Today when i got home I noticed he had some spots on him, almost like ick. I just did a 50% water change 2 days ago my water quality has been near perfect since i switched to africans 6-8 months ago, no other fish have these spots, just the pleco. It may be nothing, I'm still worried, I don't use any chemicals in my tank but will if I have to. I will try to post pics in the morning.
Any comments or suggestions would be awesome.
Thanks

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

One of the good indicators of ich amongst non-cichlid types (I'm not so sure about plecos) is flashing. If they're brushing up against abrasive objects repeatedly, and showing signs of stress and aggravated breathing.

If you're absolutely sure its ich one of the most important factors is temperature. This article was written about dwarf puffers but really the treatment involved can apply to any fish that can tolerate the listed products (which are all natural methods).

http://dwarfpuffers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

After looking at several pictures of the pleco you say you have though...its got quite a few ''spots'' on it...is it possible it was stressed at your LFS and during transport and wasn't showing full color along with spots and you're only noticing them now? I have very little experience with plecos at all and none with the yellow seam but I'm pretty sure almost any fish has varying degrees of color, a lot of which depends on whether or not the fish is stressed.

vwfan79

by vwfan79

I've been keeping a close eye on him the last couple of days and hes not showing any signs of stress. He's not breathing heavy and not flashing. I think your right with him being stressed during transport and such and not showing full color. Thanks for the info.

need pleco help!!!

3 posts