55 Gallon Stand

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

jacuzzi7755

55 Gallon Stand

by jacuzzi7755

So I was sick of having my tank on the ground where I never see it so being on a very limited budget I bought a Penn Plax 55 gallon stand. When I got home I read reviews and I am now really worried to use it. First of all I have an acrylic S&S tank and there is no center support, so I am afraid it will bow. Second the reviews were mixed on it whether it was sturdy or not. I also have tons of lace rock which would add to the weight. Has anyone used this stand and can tell me if it will work with acrylic and if its stable. It will be on very thin carpet and I have no kids or dogs that would mess or bump into it. Heres the link to show its specs. Thanks for any help and Happy New Year.

http://www.petco.com/product/14761/Penn ... allon.aspx

adehaan86

by adehaan86

If your that worried I would not use the stand. Another cheap option is get a 2x4 cut to right length for center support. And for what you paid for item you could pay a lilttle bit more and make a all wood one.

Personally and just my opionion I would stay away from it. It's not worth the lost of money over spending extra 50 dollars to have a nicer stand!

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

acrylic is 17x stronger than glass, and never becomes brittle. If your'e really worried you could add some sort of jack or post with a good 6"x6" square on top and bottom just to give you a sense of security...
penn plax is usually pretty trusty in the filtration trade but I'm not so sure about furniture.

jacuzzi7755

by jacuzzi7755

So who knows of a good cheap 48" stand or directions for DIY one? I just really want a solid wood platform thats about 8-12 inches high. Thanks

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I have a 55 gallon wrought iron stand, that I bought about a year ago for %60.00. It does have a center support as does the tank, but it is all glass. Your tank is much stronger than glass like Tmer said, so I wouldn't be bothered. But if you are wearied over this, get a wooden cabinet. But I think you will be fine.

55 Gallon Stand

5 posts