the best substrate?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

bigduke45123

the best substrate?

by bigduke45123

In the future I want to set up a large planted tank and I want to know what is the best substrate to use? Also should you use a Laterite base as you fist layer and use something like Eco-Complete? I also know that Co2 is a big must and what is the best system out there right now to use?

adehaan86

by adehaan86

I just started a planted freshwater tank, and i'm learning a lot of different things. The biggest and highest thing I can recommed. Just get a few plants then see how well you do with them.

As far as CO2 it will greatly increase growing and heathly plants. But I never plan on a CO2 because they cost too much for my size of a tank. As far as a fert, Fish will do enough but some extra probably won't hurt. I would go kinda cheap at first untill you really understand all of it. I'm finding it more difficult but maybe I'm not quite getting the whole picture.

Also I would recommed getting at least 4 watts per a gallon , possibly use shop lights they are VERY CHEAP. Or go on ebay I find a set that is very nice for about 100 bucks, most at pet stores same thing is 400 dollars.

Hope this helps!!!

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

laterite is a good base, and something the roots can really take hold in. Eco complete or flourite are both great plant substrates and both companies make a variety of types of each to fit your needs.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_searchIte ... WPCPG.html

There's a good listing of some of the products both lines offer. I've had great results with black flourite sand. You could even try adding black sand flourite in some areas and eco complete in others to get kind've a black stream-bed effect.

CO2 isn't a must at all provided your plants are receiving adequate lighting (2.5-5wpg depending on species) and fertilization, but inevitably does enhance the growth of most any plants in the aquarium.

bigduke45123

by bigduke45123

yeah I am wanting to set up a 55 - 75 gal tank for crystal red shrimp and want it to be planted and would love to have a black substrate so it will show that color of the shrimp and also the plants. but I am wanting a very heavy planted tank for them seems how my big feather fin cats won't let me keep plants in with them because they always tear them up when I put any in with them.
I have been doing a lot of research and know that what you use as a substrate is just as important as is the lighting or the co2. that is why I ask.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I used Eco Complete and i've been very happy with it

adehaan86

by adehaan86

go to aquariumplants.com and get there substrate. It's way cheaper. Suppose to be better.

the best substrate?

6 posts