Using reverse osmosis water....It ok?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Just wondering about reverse osmosis... I plan on using it, It was recommeded to get the hardness/PH of my water down since I don't have a water softner. I do have 55 gal fish tank with guppies and some plants(so PH is important).My ph was at about 8.2 for almost 3 weeks burning the heck out my plants. I pay a montly fee for having this water so if I use 1 gallon or 1000 gallons it's the same price. I guess either water my water is free whether it's city or reverse osmosis. So I had a couple questions for you experts :) !

1. Using reverse osmosis to lower PH okay and using regular water out of sink to raise it okay?!
2. Using too much reverse osmosis water okay? Like getting too carried away with water changes to make sure PH stays down?
3. How will the fish, and plants react to me doing this?

I plan on using the reverse osmosis water with my salt water tank(when it gets setup). Just wondering if any one else uses this and what your thoughts are on this?

Thanks everybody!

adehaan86

by adehaan86

One other question.....Can I do like 100% water changes every 2 days or use it for a filtration?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I would try to find a balance between R/O and tap water to meet your PH at mid ground per-se. Guppies will more than likely do fine in a ph of up to 7.8 for a long time provided they have the chance to acclimate to it. 8.2 will more than likely effect their longevity however.

R/O is great because simply put is the purest thing you can use in your tank, but if you use purely R/O you'll be starving your plants of trace elements.

I would never recommend doing 100% water changes, especially back to back, and furthermore if doing them in combination of switching to an R/O mix (which will change your pH). 50% is really the most you should change out back unless you accidentally spill bleach or something real toxic in your tank.
Also note that you should never change your Ph more than 1 full point in 24hrs time.

As long as you go about it slow the fish really shouldn't mind at all.

Just try mixing half and half amounts of R/O and tap in 1gal containers and waiting 24hrs or so then measuring the Ph to see what you come up with. I would aim for 7.3-7.8.

adehaan86

by adehaan86

Well my biggest problem is I'm burning my plants becuase it was at PH of almost 8.2 = 8.3. As far as a 100% water change I was never going to do it just wanted to know if it's possible to use RO to drop PH. I will keep using regular water but like I said no water softener so it will spike my PH way up again. Right now I'm fighting getting PH down.

So as long as I don't drop PH below 7.0 can I keep using RO?

I see it should not be a problem because at 7.0 key chemicals should be there still? Just wondering. Thanks for the reply

4 posts