GOOD AFRICAN CICHLDS

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

j_bball_rox

GOOD AFRICAN CICHLDS

by j_bball_rox

I am thinking of getting a small amount of african cichlids my tank holds 70 litres not sure how many gallons if someone can tell me that would be grate but back to the subject. if any one can tell whatt are some good starter african cichlds for my tank and the suitable needs thank you to all that answer even if it juist says HI :)

Thanks, J

miami754

by miami754

I saw on your profile that you have an 18 gallon with a bunch of fish in it already. Are you wanting to add cichlids to this tank (can't do that as your tank will not support them and they will kill most everything in there) or do you have another tank that is empty? Really, 18 gallons is too small for mbunas (the normal type of fish people think of when they say "African cichlid"). If I had that small of a tank, I would get some shell-dwelling cichlids from Lake Tanganyika. They are very interesting as they each live in shells you put on the bottom (like a cave sort of). Their behavior is very cool. However, you're not going to get the size, aggression, or color that you would with mbunas (hence the reason you can put them in an 18 gallon). Google "shell-dwelling cichlids" and you will see a whole bunch of them. See if you like the way they look.

BurgerKing7704

by BurgerKing7704

They're really interesting little fish. I can clean my shellie tank and take a few photos if you're interested.

j_bball_rox

by j_bball_rox

thanks miami i was thinking of putting them in another 18 gal tank but as the African Cichlids which i was thinking of are too aggrressive and large for my other 18gal tank i will look into these lake tanginika cichlids they sound very interesting and sounds like they would have quite a personality. And BurgerKing I would love to see your shellie tank maybe if you put the pics on here i could see them .

Anyways thank you both for helping me again , J

GOOD AFRICAN CICHLDS

4 posts