I need help choosing new fish to put into my tank

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

joshheatherc

by joshheatherc

I was recently just given a 55 gallon tank and the fish that came with it are as follows: 1 sucker, 1 red-tailed shark, 2 black skirt tetras. I added 1 tiger barb and Bala Shark. I was reading up on the fish that i have and i was wondering if it is nessisary for the tiger barbs and black skirt tetras to live in schools of 6 or more and if i have a good selection of fish in my tank. Any tips and or advice is more than welcome...

thanks

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Yes, the tiger barbs and black skirts should be in schools, however, the sharks aren't really compatible with tetras and tiger barbs. Red tailed sharks get big (i think about 6 inches) and i've heard that they can be quite aggressive. Bala sharks get to be HUGE and should be kept in schools also. A full gown bala shark will probably swallow a black skirt whole, and a 55 gallon tank is probably not big enough. If i were you i'd take the sharks back to the pet store and buy some more black skirts and tiger barbs.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile21.html

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

You'll need a tank 72"+ to house a bala when it gets to be an adult. And at least 4' in the meantime.

BurgerKing7704

by BurgerKing7704

What kind of fish do you want? Check out variuos websites that sell fish, and figure out which ones you like best.

RamBam

by RamBam

You should do some researchin to find out what fish you like.
7e202-Nikon3.jpg

dizzcat

by dizzcat

The red tailed shark will get mean! I have one in my African cichlid tank and that baby can hold his own against the highly aggressive Africans! . No way in heck I would put him in my community tank, he would beat the crap out of everyone! I got him about a month ago (my neighbors little grandson named him "fluffy" LMAO) and he is already at least 4 inches.

As for tiger barbs, I would be very careful with those. I have heard that if they are not in a large group they will really nip at all the other fish, to the point of your other fish not having fins left.

Definitely read up on any fish you want. If you see some at the store you want to bring home, don't until you see how compatible they are. Some tetras can be very nippy too.
I tell you this from experience.
Good luck!

dawgtrain

by dawgtrain

I was told one shark in a tank as i have one red tail and he is great alone along with everyone else there is one algae eater he faces off with I dont even know what kind but he is mean it is orange witha sharp jagged top fin..(nasty) he will go on the trading block soon. I have a few zebra danois they are fun to watch .. neons add nice color provided they dont eat them. I have a bunch they made it. angels are nice too.

joshheatherc

by joshheatherc

You were very helpful. I only wish I could have got this reply sooner...lol...I had to learn by trial and error... My red tailed shark is mean...He's about 4-5 in...I'm trading him soon...I was given the tank with some fish already in it and he was one of them...He also bothers the crap out of my sucker...

thanks again

dawgtrain

by dawgtrain

Bummer my red tail doesnt bother anyone but the algae eater have fun

9 posts