Sand??

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

hutz87

Sand??

by hutz87

I would like to change my rock gravel to sand. I heard that you can use play sand from home depot or where ever you can get it. Not sure if it's okay to use that kind. Also how hard is to clean the tank once you have sand?

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Yes you can use play sand. This sand won't increase your pH either. With sand the fish poop and debris stays on top so you can easily clean it. Also a gravel vac is easier to use with sand (at least I think so). You might suck up some sand, but I prefer sand over gravel. Plus most fish live in areas with sand bottoms.

jacuzzi7755

by jacuzzi7755

You can also use pool sand which is inexpensive and very easy to find as well, I should have a nice 50# bound bag waiting for me under the tree this year. Good luck

BurgerKing7704

by BurgerKing7704

Maybe head out to the hardware store or pool place, write down the names or photograph the bags. Then post all that info here if you're wondering some more info about wether or not its safe for the fish or the difficulty to rinse.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Yeah aragonite is a bitch to rinse...

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

nothing is really easy rinsing if it requires rinsing. heh.

When adding any particle substrate you're gonna have to rinse thoroughly if it requires any rinsing at all. I'll agree with many others here that playsand is perfectly safe, inert, and many of us members use it..including myself. I don't think you can beat the price of bang you get for buck on playsand but poolsand may not have to be rinsed. Not sure.

When mixed properly with small areas of pebbles (not so much gravel) it makes for a very natural look.

texasfishlover7598

by texasfishlover7598

how would you go about rinsing the sand cuse i want to change mine to sand

BurgerKing7704

by BurgerKing7704

I'd wait il summer, but I'm in Canada, and its really damn cold right now.

But since you're nice and warm in texas:
Get a Bucket(size doesnt reall matter, a few gallons)
fill the bucket about a quarter with sand
Hook up the hose, pour the water from the hose into the bucket
The water will flow over eventually with the bad stuff
Continuously stir up sand
Wait until the water clears up
then pour sand into tank
Repeat until you have the sand bed you're looking for.

There should be vids on youtube if you want a visual aid

vwfan79

by vwfan79

When using a gravel vac to clean sand and other small particle substrates it helps to pinch or kink the hose a bit, it will prevent you from sucking up the substrate.

bacrosslin

by bacrosslin

I bought pool white filtration sand from home depot. I think think it was like $6.00.

If you do have a gravel vac and want to save beating your back muscles up hauling bucket after bucket of wet sand and dumping it into your tank do what i did.
I emptied my tank of everything, dumped in the entire bag of sand, filled tank up half way of water and drained it out with the gavel vac it took me about an hour to get perfectly clear water. But also i have a good gravel vac that hooks up to my sink. I also used big wooden spoon to stir up[ the sand while doin this, which helps to speed up the process.
Good Luck :)

Sand??

14 posts • Page 1 of 2