Help!

15 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I don't use anything for the algae. I have heard stories about certain brands harming fish. When I have a bad problem I will soak the rocks and everything in bleach (half bleach, half water) then soak them in water with 4 times the amount of declore for awhile. With my live plants I will soak them in a 1 part bleach- 10 part water for 2 minutes then a declor bath. It REALLY kills the algae! Just make sure you rinse them very good and don't smell bleach at all. I have not soaked my real wood tho, it seems the bleach would soak into the wood. Just haven't to be safe.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

those white fuzz things showed up again, it seems like they do when i use the algaefix. I was reading the ingredients on the bottles of algae killer stuff at the store and some have copper in them. I know copper can harm/kill fish so I did not buy that kind.

I have just started using the algaefix and it seemed like the next day I noticed the white fuzz.

I usually just wash my rocks off with tap water and scrub them.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

those white fuzz things showed up again, it seems like they do when i use the algaefix. I was reading the ingredients on the bottles of algae killer stuff at the store and some have copper in them. I know copper can harm/kill fish so I did not buy that kind.

I have just started using the algaefix and it seemed like the next day I noticed the white fuzz.

I usually just wash my rocks off with tap water and scrub them.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

link does not work

too bright light aka algae...you have algae my friend

lower the light or get a new bulb (hey you want to make a million dollars...there should be lights where there is a dimmer attached to the light fixture...unless someone out there beat me to the idea...if not, jweb, it's yours pal :)

sounds like algae to me...I would avoid the chemicals for chemicals may offset other properties in the tank...your choice pal

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Thanks for the replies.
That's a good idea yasher. Haha.
We'll see if I can keep it under control with cleaning and water changes and I also set the timer to only turn the lights on for about 11 hours a day.

Help!

15 posts • Page 2 of 2