Moss

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

cedricandcandy

Moss

by cedricandcandy

Hi everyone...

I would love to get some moss growing like a lawn / carpet on my substrate and also over the driftwood. Do you think that would improve the look of my tank?

I've done research on mosses and understand that java moss seems to be pretty easy to grow with low lighting and no co2...would that be a good moss to choose? Any better ideas?

I've also read that java moss can grow berzerk and be hard to manage - with my weekly water changes and pruning would that be sufficent to control the moss so it doesn't take over the tank?

Thanks!
f5fb4-Best photo 2.JPG

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I have java moss and I have found, as long as the bulb is not a plant bulb and it is low light, the java moss will not go beserk

it is best to attach the java moss to driftwood, it tends to grow better than attached to rock or over the gravel, at least this is what I have found to be the case

java moss is a cheap "plant" that is very easy to care for and if given the right lighting conditions will slowly carpet your tank

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

The java moss in my tank seems to grow at the same rate no matter how much light I give it, however the underlying moss (which didn't receive light before I got my light upgrade) rotted and caused a mess if I didn't maintain it at least once a month. I find I usually have to trim it down every couple of weeks. After 10+ months growing on the wood I placed it on its making some nice patterns on the wood and I can't say I'd ever want to remove it from my tank. Regardless I think its pretty easy to control once its settled into its niche and you have a trimming operation down pat.

Here's a photo gallery of some mosses that I've yet to find locally and refuse to track down and ship to myself on the interwebs.

http://www.aquarminy.yoyo.pl/ang/flora.html

I'm particularly fond of the fissidens, though I think these kinds of mosses will require high light and a steady supply of CO2. They're commonly used in showtanks as they are noticably gorgeous.

A common trick is to use a piece of vinyl or w/e screen weighted down with plant weights if you desire or just partially buried in substrate. (just make sure its inert) Then tie the java moss down to that in whatever shape you wish to cut out. Course you can trim the moss to shape it that way as well. This is one of the easier ways to get it "stuck" to your substrate.

If you have adequate lighting I'd also recommend possibly using fissidens on your driftwood perhaps some dwarf hairgrass (much easier to get than fissidens) on one side and some other sort of carpet plant (micro sword, dwarf baby tears/whathaveyou) on the other and move those cluster of plants at the center foreground to the outer edges leaving a nice space like you're leaving a ''trail'' as Peter Karig would often call it..with a carpet to either side. It's a really nice effect.

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Thanks for your advice guys...I've gone out and got myself some java moss today.

And I have to day that I'm pleased with the result. I've attached it to my 2 pieces of driftwood and also have a piece partially buried under my substrate so hopefully it grows from there.

Moss

4 posts