Death of a frog

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Death of a frog

by natalie265

Does anyone have any experience w/African dwarf frogs? I had two and they both seemed happy and healthy, especially the one that just died! She would come out in the evenings and eat and swim around the tank. She was adorable! She seemed fine right up until yesterday evening when i found her pale and slightly bloated and floating near the top but still alive. This morning she was dead. My Ph hovers just above 7 and my water is on the hard side, temp 76 degrees, no nitrates. I can't find much about these little frogs on the internet.
4cb8f-000_0006.JPG

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Sorry about your loss.

I have no personal experience with them..but I did read a few things that -might- have had something to do with your problems..

How long did you have them?
What were you feeding them?
How frequently were you feeding them?
How tall is your tank and is your water all the way to the rim?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I have had 2 experinces with african dwarf frogs:

first time I bought these guys, I bought 5 from Petsmart, within 2 weeks, all the frogs died. I thought it was on account the tank is too deep. A member on this web site suggested the frogs were ill. So I decided to purchase new frogs of this type from a trusted web site (aquaticplantdepot)

I bought 7 african dwarf frogs about 6 weeks ago, all the frogs are still alive and thriving.

first I must ask you, what type of food have you been giving them? I give frozen bloodworms, cyclops, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, beetheart and tubifex worms. I constructed a plastic tube (from the python vacuum I never use) so I can feed the foods straight down to the bottom of the tank.

These frogs do not eat flake. They prefer frozen and live food, preferably any tyoe of worm.

Next, they need clean quality water. They also need multiple places to hide. They need plenty open areas at the water surface to gulp breaths (oxygen). They cannot be placed in a tank with non-community fish. They need lights off at night so they can explore for any foods left from the earlier feeding also I use the frogs as livebearer fry control, they devour these fish. I also find that these frogs, to my utter amazement, will devour any dead fish. I lost a otocinclus catfish in the last 2 weeks, only to find the frogs munching on it (good clean up crew).

if you are still okay with the above, my only other idea is that the frog caught some type of bacteria strain. A few weeks back, I lost 5 platies out of nowhere from such a fluke bacteria, that is, one day all fine, next day 5 dead platy, next day, all fine again. This can happen also.

So let me know if anything I tyoed helped to reolve your issue or if I can be of further help

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Some more info: I'd had the frogs about 4 weeks. I feed them a sinking algae type tablet in the morning and blood worms at night. I've watched them eat both and though i DO turn the lights off at night, they aren't shy about eating with the fish (7 corys) while the light is on. The tank is about 15 inches from gravel to the top of the water. Is that too tall? The water is about an inch below the edge of the tank. So far the other frog seems ok. Whatever it was that killed Terry, i hope doesn't kill Tog!

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

sound like your tank is just fine, and you were feeding correctly (Though they can actually eat too much for their own good). Some claim that it can get tiresome for them to get air from very high tanks but 15" isn't that bad and they don't need it very often anyway.
If I had to guess I'd say you just got a weak frog.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

exactly Tmer, the height is fine. The tank I have, with gravel included is about 18 inches in heighth, so it's not the height of 15" which killed the frog.

Probably it was a weak frog. Possibly its immune system was weak like I described with the frogs I purchased at Petsmart.

My advice is, these little guys prefer company, so you should get another 5-7 frogs. AquaticPlantDepot.com has these african dwarf frogs at $2.06 a piece with a flat $12.50 shipping & handling (of course the order must be a min of $30.00); also Dr Fosters & Smith has these frogs, but their shipping is like $35.00 overnight or something like that.

So I think you shouldn't be detered by your bad experience. You should go purchase more. It is basically, 1 frog per 2-3 gallons, so if your tank is at least 40, you can at least have 7 frogs at a min.

So get Tog some company, buy from a trusted retailer.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

okay, i'll chalk it up to bad luck and get a couple new pals for Tog. Thanks for your replies!

Death of a frog

7 posts