algae wafers

20 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

algae wafers

by spongebob4460

Just bought Hikari algae wafers for my pleco... no algae in my tank so im sure he's starving by now. Two questions... can these guys go longer without eating than other fish? and... how much a wafer should i drop in, it seems awfully large for one fish, i dont want it to decay? maybe cut a small piece?

angi43

by angi43

I am babysitting a 2 yr old oscar. He has a pleco about 8 in. and had to buy the wafers due to the move.( owner had to move tanks to the house.) The owner cleaned the tank too well. So the pleco started to attack the oscar (who is about 12 in.) I give him 1 wafer every other day. seems to be much better! I would say depending on size and if the pleco finds it. I give the pleco the most 2 hrs to eat the wafer then fish it out (if the oscar does not eat it first!) It seems that oscars like the wafers too!! : )

prskiller

by prskiller

My pleco is about 3 inches long. I drop in a wafer every other day and usually at night. My mollie loves the wafer to and so does oscar.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

thanks... hopefully my pleco will come out from hiding to claim his prized wafer

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

I would put in a wafer every other day or every three days. If it starts to get huge fast in a less than 50 gallon tank i would drop it down to twice a week

gumbii

by gumbii

the only pleco that i had that would even eat the algae wafers were ancistrus (bristlenose)...

everything else usually eats flakes, shrimp pelets, driftwood and veggies...

throw some cucumber slices in there, romane leafs, squash and orange slices with the peal on...

right now i have a couple of vampire plecos and they eat newlife spectrum when it hits the floor... i used to feed them dead feeder fish before...

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

No gumbii. I have a sailfin and a high fin and they eat the wafer

gumbii

by gumbii

there are about 20 different pleco's named sailfin and high fin...

i guess you're talking about a leopard sailfin pleco, and a trinidad pleco... since those are common at LFS... the trinidad is a carnivore... it will eat any kind of pellet or flake...

the leopard is a omnivore... wich will probably eat the pellet fine...

i've never had a trinidad or a leopard pleco... since they both get gigantic and are useless IMO... and trinidad's usually attack other fish to eat thier slime coat... well sometimes... if your lucky they wont...

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

no worries, my bristlenose has started eating the wafers... he got hungry enough to swim to the front of the tank where i drop them. i put in a quarter to half wafer every few days. my other fish leave it alone so its all his. thanks for the info.

Mattallica874353

by Mattallica874353

You could also try fresh veggies. I've got a 12" pleco and he likes fresh veggies more than wafers (although he will eat them).

He absolutely LOVES garlic soaked peas, and every now and then I put in a bunch of lettuce and he'll gobble it down.

algae wafers

20 posts • Page 1 of 2