Texas cichlids v Malawi cichlids

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Hi all,

Can texas cichlids, oscars, go in a tank with Malawi cichlids?

As a tempory measure, we may have to put them together but our Malawi's are more important to us so we don't want to risk loosing them.

Thanks!

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

from what i hear mixing two different type of cichlids is really never a good idea

miami754

by miami754

The answer is no. They require different water parameters so you will be making one or the other stressed (or both if you try to reach a happy medium).

Plus they don't eat the same food. Oscars needs a meaty diet while meaty foods can cause severe problems for Malawi cichlids (require a more vegetable-based diet). Oscars are messy eaters so the Malawi's will eat their left overs - not good.

Finally, it is tough to mix African and New World cichlids because they have different temperaments and will end up knocking each other out.

That's my opinion - I wouldn't do it.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

my boyfriends mom tried it before consulting with me (i would have then come to the forum and asked of course),...the affricans all died within 5 days.

cedricandcandy

by cedricandcandy

Oh geez...well I guess we'd better find a different solution other then putting them together then! Thanx guys!

5 posts