Sticking rocks together

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

FishyManHarry

Sticking rocks together

by FishyManHarry

Hi does anyone know what i should use to stick rocks together in the fish tank, e.g to make a cave of rocks for my fish to go in. i want to stick the rocks together so they do not colapse on the fish.

I'd appreciate the help, thanks!

bricklover

by bricklover

My LPS has some type of adhesive designed to work under water.
IIRC it is for live rock and safe for corals and marine life.
Looked expensive at twelve bucks. It was about half the size of a tube of toothpaste.

bricklover

by bricklover

I ended up spending $1.05 for 3 bricks that I camouflaged.

FishyManHarry

by FishyManHarry

ok thanks for your help i'll give your tank a good rating

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

if you have deep gravel, the rocks will wedge nicely into the gravel; make sure no large rocks are stacked against the glass or else it can, over time, break it.

also be sure to stack the heavier rocks at the bottom, build up from there.

I have rocks and river stones in my tank (my latest set up...pics are pending approval), and I did not use any adhesive. I just used deep gravel and used slate as ledges with heavy stone at the foundation with scattered river rock over the gravel for the fry to hide in

miami754

by miami754

Yeah, you don't need to use silicone or anything like that (although alot of people do). Lace rock (what I use) is very convenient in terms of having jagged edges that you can fit together like a puzzle. Just place them on top of each other and push them in each direction to make sure the structure is steady. It's actually kind of fun when you go to change it because it's like solving a puzzle.

Oh, and don't lean the rock on the glass (assuming you are using a good deal of rock). Instead kind of work it up like a triangle (big base, small top).

bertie411

by bertie411

milliput! completely reef safe, underwater hardening and awsome sticking power!
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/items/__milliput ... =271108297

Sticking rocks together

7 posts