75 gallon cycling

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

prskiller

75 gallon cycling

by prskiller

This will be my 1 Oscar & 1 Pleco only tank. I have them now and they are only an inch and a half in size. They currently reside in my 29g community tank. Question is should I cycle the big tank with the oscar and pleco or should I put a few swordtails from my communtiy tank?

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Just a thought, but you also have the option of doing a fishless cycle, especially since you can try to move beneficial bacteria from your existing tank to the 75 gal.

prskiller

by prskiller

I was contemplating doing that also:)

robert95687

by robert95687

I am going to set up my 210 gallon tank this weekend. I am going to transfer my gravel and one Biowheel filter from the existing tank to help with the cycling. I may also transfer some water from water changes and purchase some plants to help out. Then after a month or two I will remove the filter and gravel. I hope to add my fish in in about a month, do you think that is too soon?

prskiller

by prskiller

Best way to tell is with a test kit:)

J1400Smith

by J1400Smith

I agree that you can do a fishless cycle but you can do it faster if you add ammonia daily to get the beneficial bacteria. I will post a link you can follow and see how to do this. I have used it a couple of times and love it.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/f ... ycling.php

http://www.theoscarspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2091

http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynami ... ycling.htm

Good Luck

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Robert. If you're using a filter wheel from an already established tank and some of it's gravel, your cycling will happen within a few days, if not immediately. Since you are introducing the beneficial bacteria you shouldn't see any ammonia spike at all. I think you guys are worrying too much. The biggest problem with non planted tanks is inadequate filtration and excessive feeding. It's not getting the cycle going. I firmly believe that you should provide at least double the filtration recommended and you won't have problems ever. Always buy pre-packaged bacteria unless you have live plants, and it's hard to go wrong. Cycling shouldn't be such a chore.

robert95687

by robert95687

Thanks for the advice. I am just afraid to lose some of the little guys. I don't want to introduce them too early. Strange to get attatched to a fish, but they all have interesting personalities. It will be interesting to see if they change in their new tank.

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

Try a fishless cycle period. Feed the tank well it is cycling. Wait about 2 weeks then introduce it.

prskiller

by prskiller

I moved all my fish to the 75 gallon tank and I'm now doing the fish less cycle in my 29 gallon. I'm on day 7 and I finally have the nitrates in tank. I'm guessing just several more days and I should see my ammonia and nitrite levels drop. After changing the water I'll move my fish and cycle the big tank:)

75 gallon cycling

12 posts • Page 1 of 2