Pleased To Meet You!!

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Gravel or Sand for a planted tank?

Gravel
71%
Sand
29%

Total votes : 7

RogerFederer

Pleased To Meet You!!

by RogerFederer

Hello all!!! I found this site last night and am loving it! Im about 3 months in and am really enjoying the new hobby!

Problem: I have green specs on the walls of my tank.

Tried: Scrubbing with cloth.

Requesting: Any methods you may have!
5fb2c-IMAG0180.jpg

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

use a razor

RogerFederer

by RogerFederer

a1k8t3, thanks man! I'll try that out. Very nice setup you have there mate.

For anyone else that checks this please say hello, comment on my tank. I'd love to have some people to talk tank with!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I voted gravel for the following reasons:

suppose you were to use sand, you should only use sand as one level in several levels with gravel being at the top. The problem with sand is it can get compacted and the roots will not spread out as well. BUt then again, do not use too large a size of gravel or else the roots also will have a problem spreading out.

I have live plants in my tank. I placed red clay (flourite) at the very bottom of the tank (it gives the roots nutrients), then I placed small size pebbles mixed with gravel for the rest (I did not use sand).

most of my plants are anubias (these plants are slow growers but very easy to care for: low light, very little pruning if none at all, and can practicallt survive on the fish poop as fertilizer; these plants can do well in most temperatures as well in most hard or soft waters). The other plant is java fern and I also have plants/weeds: java moss (attached to stone and wood) and salvinia and duckweed as floating plant/weed.

I do place a Flourish Tablet (one every 3 months into the gravel, about 2 inches down) as fertilizer, outside of this, I let the fish poop fertilize the plants.

also anubias can either be planted into the gravel or attached to bogwood/malaysian wood (I have the plants attached to wood and in gravel...all are doing well...I bought these plants months ago, and not one has died)

as long as you provide about 10 hours of light (use a plant bulb) and you perform what I suggested above, these particular plants, anubias, will last for years if not decades. Great hardy little guys

but yes, I agree with aik, gravel is the best way to go

hope this helps

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

as for comments about your tank:

add more natural wood, stones.river rocks, give it a background

a1k has a beautiful tank (I always give it a 10 whenever it pops up on the screen...and even though it has no background, the lighting effect is so rich or dark that he doesn't need one)

when you rate the photos try to read about the tanks, it will give you a better idea on what you can do for your tank

hope this info also helps

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

if you buy a special plant gravel
that would be the best

I would recomend flourite

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

This is what I use now.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~ ... WPCPG.html

The ''green spots'' are whats commonly referred to as Green Spot Algae --- I know, a real shocker...also 'GSA'. In my experience this type of algae seems more common in a tank experiencing 'NTS' or new tank syndrome. I rarely see it in tanks I've had for a long time under unwavering conditions.

Like a1 said as long as your tank is glass a flat-edge razor will work fine.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

welcome to the site, and cool tank. might i suggest more plants to fill in the back. also a black background will really make it look nice.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

what type of lighting are you using?

RogerFederer

by RogerFederer

believe it or not, there is a solid black background on there! bad photographer i guess...haha. heres a pic of my bala sharks and colombian tetra, it alo shows all that dang algae.
75656-100_0417small.jpg

Pleased To Meet You!!

16 posts • Page 1 of 2