Aquarium Salt?

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

bacrosslin

Aquarium Salt?

by bacrosslin

I just changed out my 55gal. Cichlids tank gravel for sand yesterday, which included a 100% water change. With a change this drastic do i need to add any aquarium salt?
I think that I should but I can not find anyhwere that states an ammount for Cichlids.
Any ideas?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

aquarium salt either helps with stress or/and illness.

I add aquarium (2 tablespoons to a 55 gal) every week (each MOnday). Never hurts. Just be careful the salt is placed in an area that does not touch fish or invertebrates for it will burn them.

2 Tablespoon weekly regardless of illness or stress never hurts unless your fish cannot handle it (what fish do you ave outside of the above-mentioned).

hope this helps

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Just be careful, as salt does not evaporate, so you can easily end up with too much salt in a tank. I usually add a pinch to each bucket of water I'm putting in my tank when I do water-changes, and it works great.

You just have to find your own balance, and what your tank needs.

bacrosslin

by bacrosslin

I have 2 tanks but the Q is just for my Cichlids. I went by the instructions and did 1 teaspoon per 5 gal. of water. I do a 25-30% water change everyweek plus a 50% monthly. I norm put a teaspoon in weekly per water change.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Woah. That seems like a lot of salt to me, but if it works, it works.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

What kind of sand is it?

jweb1369

by jweb1369

salt doesn't evaporate, but it does form crystals on the sides of the tank. With saltwater, those can be deadly if allowed to fall back into the tank.

gumbii

by gumbii

this is what i put in my tang tanks...

For every 5 US Gallons of water, add 1-tablespoon Epsom salt, 1-tablespoon baking soda, and 1-teaspoon marine salt.

but that's to raise the PH and GH/KH to where i want it... and my tap water PH is 7.8...

on cichlid-forum they say to put...

For every 5 US Gallons of water, add 1-tablespoon Epsom salt, 1-teaspoon baking soda, and 1-teaspoon marine salt.

kind of the same... anyways... those are the only salts i put in any african cichlid tank... that's actually the recipe for those expensive cichlid rift lake salts...

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

three teaspoons in a tablespoon.....

bacrosslin

by bacrosslin

i bought some white pool filtration sand from home depot. Five bucks for a 50lb bag, it is alot cleaner than regular play sand but it still requires alot of rinsing to get clean

Aquarium Salt?

10 posts