What is this fuzz and how do I get rid of it?? HELP!

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

This stuff is driving me crazy! Its this tiny white fuzz. It sticks the glass in my Malawi tank. I use a magnet scrapper, it floats around and goes back on the glass. I scrub the sides down once a week in my weekly cleaning and its still there! I dislodge it into the water and try to suck as much up as I can with the gravel vac. You can see it floating around in the water too. Its not the brown or green algae, just white fuzz. It is getting worse and worse with each day!

I have it in very small amounts in my other tanks, but when I use the magnet to dislodge it, it goes up in the filter and stays gone for a long time. In the African tank I dislodge it and within 5 mins its back! GGRRRRR! My tank looks cloudy because its all over the glass and in the water.

Anyone know what it is and how I can get rid of it??

These pics are the back of the tank (not great I know)
And the fuzz on a rock (nope, its not algae, just that white fuzz on all the rocks)
cb6e5-PICT0001.JPG
aff34-PICT0003.JPG

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

damn same thing for me, but mines way worse. Growing all over my plants and rocks... and the worst part is how blurry the water is.

I heard amano shrimp help, so I got a couple, havent done anythign yet though.
033cd-IMG_2741.JPG
8382f-IMG_2742.JPG
78122-IMG_2743.JPG

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Dude that's one hell of an algae bloom. Don't feed your fish for a day and consider blacking your tank out for 48 hours. Put a thick sheet over the tank (with room for air to move through the top) if you must. Your plants will live through it hopefully the algae won't.

Your shrimp won't eat micro-algae, as many other kinds as they will eat. It looks like you've got some GSA though. You only have a couple? They're meant to be in groups of 6 or more and a group that size will only give off the bio-waste of a 1-2" fish..

If you haven't been do a couple 20% water changes for 2 days right before you turn the lights back on.

Cut back your fish food if you still haven't yet...

As for dizz I think that's the same thing I used to have and my friend now has. Do you have large clumps of java moss in these tanks?

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Wow Mike037 that is a huge algae bloom! I only have fuzz.

Tmercier83 This is the only tank with no real plants. My fry tank has a huge clump of java moss and my Ram tank has an assortment of plants.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

no.....this is a algae bloom ........

lol - - it was totally to much feeding and to much lighting - - - -that was a while ago she's all shiny clean now

Snowboss
4d92e-Picture 026.jpg

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

ouch
anyways im starting over soon soo
hopefully after i recycle the tank it will be much better

dehn

by dehn

Hey There!

What kind of filtration are you using on this tank?

That stuff looks a LOT like the stuff I get off the inside of my hoses when I move them around. (Sump return lines that is)

7 posts