Ideas needed for recently vacated 33-long

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Because of my evil platy plague, I now have an available 33-long aquarium that needs residents. The filter is a Rena XP1, but beyond that all the substrate and decor can be changed around.

I'm not sure what to do with it now. I was thinking I might just reserve it as a fry tank for my spawning pair of angelfish, but lord knows if they'll ever stop snacking on their offspring long enough for some to make it past wiggler stage.

Does anyone have an idea of what a 33-long would be suited to? I'd like to maybe try a more unusual species of fish. I already have angelfish, goldfish, a crawfish, and some tetras (not all in the same tank, heh). It would have to be a fish that doesn't get too gigantic, but I'm not opposed to having only one main fish in there so he can have the entire range of the tank. It can also be a colony of smaller fish.

So... now accepting all ideas for fish!

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Ever tried puffers?
Several different kinds to consider in a tank that size. Figure eight, green spot, dwarf...
although there aren't many community fellars you can keep them with -- with peace of mind anyway. And for once at least with the first two I think the tides would be turned on your crawfish.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Hah, stupid crawfish... I need a name for him, actually. My first one was The Blue Goblin, but this one is a bit nicer to all the fish. But he's still small, too. He has his own tank, though, no worries.

Hmm... I COULD break into brackish water and have some puffers... unless they can live in fresh? Still, that's an idea... there are some cool brackish water fishies.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

You could get some Apistogramma's. They are the small dwarf south American cichlids. VERY pretty for little things. i want some myself!
Here's what I mean:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q ... ages&gbv=2

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Ooh, those ARE cute. They look like rams, actually. Aren't rams cichlids? I saw them on a cichlid website but I have no idea.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Yep, they are New World dwarf cichlid's

acerkai640

by acerkai640

yeah i want a few for my tank too but noone here sells them tho

have you thought about some tetras maybe.... serpae tetras only get 1.5", 5-6 would look cool and maybe a few dwarf gouramis with some plants and wood and a small pleco or some cories.

that would look pretty nice
-acer-

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Heh, I already have serpae tetras in with my angelfish, and a blue gourami in my crawfish tank. That would make a pretty setup, but I'd like to try something new. Corydoras are not out of the realm of possibility, though I could easily work those into the angelfish tank too, as it is not nearly at full capacity and has no bottom-dwellers except one pleco.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Dwarf/Pygmy puffers are the only freshwater to my knowlege. there's a few subspecies and etc of the dwarf variety (they all look almost exactly alike, basically slight variations from climate). Figure eights and Green spots are brackish. There are a few things you could keep them with, but not much that would go in a 33gal.

My puffers are still my favorite fish. They have so much personality. They just don't play well with others unless your plantings are so dense they may as well be wearing horse blinders all day.

acerkai640

by acerkai640

well maybe look into getting some tiger barbs, s. petricola, bolivian rams, and my favorite bosemani rainbows, (or just some rainbows)

if you look at s. petricolas make sure they are them cuz some lfs have them as s. multipitus-sp, but learn the diff first cuz there is a big diff. one get 10" and the other gets 4" so read up and make sure you get the one with white tip fins.
-acer-

17 posts • Page 1 of 2