starting all over again,,,

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

Lately my fish tank has been really dirty, especially the substrate, Even when I use the gravel vac it doesnt help. The tank water is really blurry, and everthing turns brown and gross after a while. I am think about saving some money, and totaly empty my ankd and everything in it. Most of the fish will go in a tnak thats I will leave running for like 2 weeks, and the bigger ones will go in my sister tank, the angel etc.

After I buy my new filter, lamp, and a plant gravel, along wil some background plants, anything tall that will grow in medium lighting, any suggestions...

Set everything up, and cycle the tank, using all the new equiptment. After two week I will slowly add the fish and thats about it.

Just wondering, whats I REALLY quiet canister filter?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

You know if you're dead set on this new filter/substrate thing thats fine, but I don't really see a need to recycle the tank. Move your fish out, change out the substrate for some eco complete or black flourite sand - RINSE first (black substrates will harbor less algae, and show less crap), leave your old filter going until bacteria colonies re-establish themselves in substrate/etc. Then get yourself a rena XP2.

If you're still growing a ton of algae read what I wrote in your other post. I'll reiterate here just in case you forgot WHICH ONE it was. Lower your phosphates (Switch the kind of fish food you feed with or just feed less as this is the largest supplier of phosphates to your water) and make the ph slightly acidic with a large piece of mopani wood or something. Or even peat.

Edit: To clarify things like bloodworms and other more natural food sources will give off less phosphates than normal flake food. I was using Tetra Color Tropical Crisps in my 30gal that were just loaded with phosphates (more than regular flakes), and the algae was overwhelming while I was using them (until i got amano shrimp). Most tropical fish tend to prefer worms over flakes, too.
Last edited by Tmercier834747 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

You can also buy some stuff to put in the filter that will lower the phosphates.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=4343

I do not know why mine gets so gross, my phosphate levels are low. But I have heard that if they are high it creates this crap. I don't think buying all new filters and stuff will solve the problem. I changed to play sand and I don't get it as bad anymore, but I still get it. I have tried changing filters around too. I still have to scrub the sides of the tank and it gets on the plants, but not as bad. It's just something all tanks get.

How long has your tank been up? The blurry water can be bacteria blooms. I do have this when my tanks go thru a mini cycle. (like when I change substrates) It went on for a couple months when I first set up all my tanks. Do you do a water change every week? Mine stays in check with the weekly change. I do take out the plastic plants every week and scrub them off and that seems to keep it under control too. Are you over feeding?

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

I gotta ask, how long has this been going on? It seems like you're really impatient to get it all straightened out. I mean, I would be too, but sometimes you've just got to let something cycle out... the more you try to mess with it, the longer it takes.

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

i went to the store and got some amanos and water clarifier, it helped a bit. And besides I might be moving so I might just have to start over anways...

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Well, if you're moving, there's no better time if it's a fresh start you want. I'm moving too, and taking the opportunity to upgrade my goldfish tank to something they can actually FIT into. Dirty little things...

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

lmao I had goldifish befor, they can get preety dirty:P
do you know any good background plants, and a really quiet filter?

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Rena XPs all the way. I have the XP1 and XP2, love them both... can't tell they're running unless I put my hand on the top sometimes.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Even if you're moving you may be able to harvest bacteria from an existing tank so that you, and the fish, can avoid a cycle. If you can't do that, then consider a fishless cycle.

Zambize

Mike0372983

by Mike0372983

k, thats what I was thinking of doing

10 posts