How can I grow GREEN algae? I know, I must be crazy!

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

OK, so I know that African Cichlids love to munch on that green algae that will grow on rocks, so I am wondering how I can get some going? All I get in my tanks is that awful brown crap and they wont touch it! I see pics of tanks with the green algae that looks like a carpet and the fish are happily grazing away. Any ideas? The algae I get is the brown stuff or that beard algae or this "fuzz" that is all over the glass. :-(

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

well some algae it a sighn of a healty well established tank.... i dont know how to get it started i just know that it comes over time

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

I guess you can put some seed algae in there from another tank that already has it, if you have access to that. Other than that, it just pops up naturally, in my experience. The brown algae is more opportunistic, so if it's in high sun it will probably develop that first, unfortunately.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Mine only grew when my tank was just over a month old for some reason..
The tank has a 15w 50/50 bulb in it. All it produces now is yucky yuck brown algae, which I usually make go away with small periods of blackout. -.-
c50ad-algae.jpg

dizzcat

by dizzcat

The only green stuff I ever got before was that horrible green slime that would cover everything Ugh! So glad I don't get any of that anymore! I get the brown stuff. None of my tanks are by a window, so no sunlight. I am the only one I know with a good tank. So no seeding.

Oh well.....

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

I'd offer to send you some, but I doubt it would make it through the mail... ask an LFS?

acerkai640

by acerkai640

yeah i have one spot of green algae in my tank but i cant tell if it slime or not ill figure it out when i do my cleaning. also i get brown spot algae on the fromt of my glass. my friend has a tank that has tons of algae on the rocks and i just cant seem to get my rocks the same way but is that good or bad.
-acer-

fishboy711

by fishboy711

You can usually get heaps of algae from fishponds. I live in Western Australia and as well as my fishtanks, my dad keeps koi carp in ponds outside. During the warmer months (come on, it doesn't get that hot in australia!) lots of 'hair algae grows around the edges of the pond liners. My suggestion is to ask a mate who has a pond with the algae you want growing in it if you can have some! When you add it to your tank you could even crush it up a bit so that the algae can collonise other parts of your tank.

On a final note, you are definitely not crazy, I keep algae in my tank purely for the fact that i love the way it softens the lines between my rocks and plants.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I don't know anyone with a pond. Just 2 people with small fish tanks that get the same brown crap I do. Oh well. I have noticed some green growing in my fry tank, so when it gets enough I will seed the big tank.

acerkai640

by acerkai640

so how would you seed another tank and should i get another pleco (seeing i think my rubberlip is gone) or what else could i try. i cant get amano shrimp at my lfs or petsmart so are there any other options
-acer-

16 posts • Page 1 of 2