whats the best food for cichlids?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

bluestarmickey

by bluestarmickey

I feed them the stuff in the pictures is that good or should i get something else???
8d157-pPETS-3758404t400.jpg
4dad8-pPETS-3756094t400.jpg

dehn

by dehn

Good food choices for sure.

It matters more though depending on the TYPE of cichlids?

What are you feeding? Africans and New World Cichlids have very different needs.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

What kind do you have? New World of Africans? New world are Omnivore so need a mix of veggies and meaty (like the shrimp and blood worm) , and African are Herbivore, which means they need a lot of vegetable matter in their diet and meaty foods should be avoided. They can develop Malawi Bloat if fed too much meaty foods like blood worms and shrimp.

I feed my New World Cichlids (Rams and Angels) Ocean Nutrition Cichlid Omni
(my tetras and guppies also eat this)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=9072

My Africans get Ocean Nutrition Cichlid Vegi (flakes) in the morning and in the evening New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula, these are sinking pellets. They come in small to large. I have heard great things about the New Life Spectrum brand. I get the medium size pellets. http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ct ... rmula300gr

They also get algae pellets because in the wild they feed on algae. As a treat a couple times a week they will get zucchini squash or peas (skinned). I will only give them a squirt of blood worms or shrimp maybe once a month if that. The easiest way to avoid Malawi bloat is to stay away from the meaty foods.

You have the Africans right? I see from your profile that you do. If you want me to get more into the New World cichlid foods let me know.

Hope that helped! :-)
(You can get these foods at you LFS)

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

---check his/her profile----

gumbii

by gumbii

new life spectrum...

that is all...

/thread...

5 posts