looking for good fish

21 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

acerkai640

looking for good fish

by acerkai640

so im looking for some fish that get about 4-6 inches that are NOT CICHLIDS. i have a community tank that is fully cycled and and running great. the problem that im runnning into is that most of my fish hang out and the bottome or lower-mid section of the tank. and im looking for some colorfull fish that ar mid level swimmers. as of right now i have:
1-crab
1-pictus catfish
1-rubberlip pleco
1-albino longfin bushynose pleco
2-columbian shark (silvertip)
2-s. petricola
2-knight gobies
3-bolivan rams
5-serpea tetras

any ideas. im looking into bosemani rainbows but they are like $13/each
thanks
-acer-

gumbii

by gumbii

i would get as many synodontis petricola's i could afford and forget the rest... lol...

j/k...

but i love petricola's... i would be carefull when putting a rubberlip(bulldog) pleco with any other ancistrus like a bristlenose... get a pair or trio of bristlenose... they're pretty easy to pair up and sex... the males will get a red/brown spot on the top of the head...

i would also rock some rainbows... and why are you trying to stay away from cichlids...??? i've seen some very imressive yellows with other comunity fish...

oh... and if you get any type of synodontis i wouldn't house other catfish with him... now that i think of it... it might be pretty hard to have both synodintis and ancistrus in a tank... hmm... better have plenty of hiding space...

dizzcat

by dizzcat

What about Angels? They can get real big and tend to hang out near the top in the tops of plants. Mine do. :-)

acerkai640

by acerkai640

yeah i have quiet a few and plan on more soon but money says not now. lol but yeah my rubberlip and albino dont seem to bother eachother at all the even share the same hidding spot behind my internal filter sometimes but my albino is always roaming. also i love the petricola too but they are $15/each too but i got my for buy one get one 1/2 off.

the reason im staying away cichlids is cuz all the cool ones are kinda mean i hear and i dont want to try to see if it will work.

yeah i was thinking about getting like 5-6 b. rainbows they only get 4" and would make a great colorfull addition but againd price
thanks any other suggestions
-acer-

acerkai640

by acerkai640

my gf likes angels but i hear they can get mean and i dont want fins nipped cuz i hear my serpea tetras can be nippers but i havent seen to much yet besides bickering between eachother. remember i have a 115 long so i need some nice schooling or grouping fish that are a good additon
thanks
-acer-

gumbii

by gumbii

JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!...

15 bucks a syno. petricola...!!!!!! that's so CHEAP!!!...

our local LFS hike up the price above 20 bucks a fish... i usually see them go for 23 bucks a small one... i usually buy 100 of them to get them at 7 bucks a piece... but we do a huge buy in on the fish club... so i end up keeping about ten or so...

also... these syno cats need cichlids to breed...

gumbii

by gumbii

if you're looking for schooling fish get some cory's... get like a dozen or more... lol...

acerkai640

by acerkai640

well yeah my petricolas are like 2" and i prob got them when they wer 1.5" or so but the grow slowly.

well i thought about corys b4 but i aleady have all but 5 ficsh are bottom dwellers. and at my petsmart all the corys are at the bottom clening or something

well my tetras used to hang together but lately they kinda hang out 2 at a time or just 1 every foot they are still cool tho. anyone in your club have bosemani rainbows gumbii?
-acer-

gumbii

by gumbii

yes and yes... but... i don't know much about they... shop around friend...

acerkai640

by acerkai640

well petsmart had them once and havent since, and then my lfs said he could order them but dont know a price till they get them and well they still might be hard to get tho.

you know anything about hatchet fish or silver dolllars?
-acer-

looking for good fish

21 posts • Page 1 of 3