starting a new 75g tank

21 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

adamcore

starting a new 75g tank

by adamcore

Currently I still have my 10g tank and finally the cloudiness subsided! Yesterday I went and picked up my new 75g tank, thankfully it came with the top and lights.

I would like some help with choosing a good filter and other products for the tank. Mind you though I am a college student so I need to find stuff that is not too expensive. I.E.; not the fluval canister filter that costs 219 dollars

I'm basically going to be setting up a semi-aggressive tank and thought that sand would be a good thing to start off with. Furthermore, having read some of the other posts, I saw that play box sand its a good choice that other people like so I thought I may give that a try.

I am used to using gravel and what not so some advice on how to keep the sand clean so that my fish don't die would be great.

But any help on setting up a good tank would be appreciated.

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

I really like the Rena XP2. It's rated for 75, but I have it on a 55, so I don't know how well it actually performs when it's put to full capacity like that. Petco.com is usually selling them for around $120.00, and they occasionally run sales. If you print out the online price and take it into the store they will probably sell it to you at that price, so that way you can avoid shipping.

Check craigslist for people parting out their tanks... you might be able to pick up a good, used canister filter for cheaper. Usually a search of "aquarium" or "fish tank" produces quite a lot of people trying to get rid of their old tanks.

supertank

by supertank

im currently runnning a 120L community tank with gravel, but from wat i have read using playbox sand is the best as it have no additives or chemicals as it is ment for children. also to clean the sand use a gravel cleaner but hold it a few inches from the surface of the sand so not to vaccum the sand away jus get the dirt. also i have read that u should disturbe the sand every once and a while to ensure that no area becomes stail or polluted. But as i say im no expert on sand so dont take this as gospil just look into it more..
supertank

seankh

by seankh

If your gona use regular play sand make sure its quickrete play sand. For a 75 gallon your gonna need probably 2 or 3 25lb bags cause your gonna loose alot when you start cleaning it.The sand will run you about 60.00. As far as filters go i also like the Rena XP2 but i would add a little more filtration you can run that and a whisper 60 i lov that filter works great and its really quiet. you can get both for around 200.00. When using sad make sure your filter intakes are not near the bottom of the tank cause you can burn up the motors by sucking in sand. Hope this helps.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ct ... sterfilter
these are great filters i have had mine up and running for over 2 years now and never had any issues with it
and they are cheaper than most canister filters and they are on sale now :) i would suggest 2 for your 75 one of them set up for your chemical/mechinical and then set the other up with just bio balls or ceramic rings for you bio filter

adamcore

by adamcore

awesome!

Do you think it would be beneficial if I bought one of the canister filters...and then maybe have a biowheel filter on as well just in case??

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Woah that PennPlax filter looks cool! Maybe I'll try one of those next time I'm setting up a tank.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

yeah like i said i love mine i mean i am sure Enhiem and fuval are great and do amazing jobs, but these are on the cheeper size and have done an amazing job for me .... and you can never have to much filtration....never.... you can have too much water current but never to much filtration.... if i were you w would set up 2 canister filters and i HOB with a bio wheel
on my 55 i run 2 canisters and 1 HOB

adamcore

by adamcore

What is HOB? >.<

adamcore

by adamcore

sorry...I am very new to a lot of this so if I ask some stupid questions please excuse me.

a1k8t3...I'm not exactly sure what you mean by; (set up for your chemical/mechinical and then set the other up with just bio balls or ceramic rings for you bio filter)

Not really sure what any of that is lol

starting a new 75g tank

21 posts • Page 1 of 3