my jewel fish just had baby fish

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

bluestarmickey

by bluestarmickey

and there in a 55 gallon tank with other fish now what do i do ? someone plaease help!!!!!

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

Tank divider ftw.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

From what I gather they are egg layers? Are they in the egg stage? Free swimming or still wigglers?

If you don't have a spare tank to move the fry into when they are free swimming, what you need to do if you want them to survive is get yourself a tank divider. Give the parents and fry the space around where they spawned. What I do when my Rams spawn, I put up the divider before the eggs hatch and give the rams about a 1/4 of the tank to themselves. Since you have a 55 you can probably give them more room. I cover my divider with a fine mesh netting that you can get at any fabric store, because the fry are so small they actually will swim thru the teeny-tiny holes in the divider.

Here is an example of the divider. Most pet stores sell one type or another:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCatalo ... =0&offset=

Here is a pic of the divider in my tank. All the community fish have 3/4 of the tank and the Rams have 1/4. You can see the netting I put over the divider. If you put netting on it, make sure the netting side is towards the Jewel side so the fry do not swim thru the holes and get caught. I never thought they would fit, but they did and I lost half my first ram batch from the fry going thru the tiny holes and getting ate. Also make sure it is tight so that none of your smaller fish can get into the parents side. Get the bottom good and buried into the substrate too so there is no space underneath. Fish like Tetras and Danios will get past it.

Good luck!
0290f-000_6248.JPG

doomydarkdoom

by doomydarkdoom

I think one of my serpae tetras even jumped over the top of the divider to get to the other side once. It wasn't quite as tall as the tank, so I had to lower the water level, and I know of no other way the little buttmunch could've gotten over.

4 posts