we are expecting again ( electric blue )

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

rw1298

by rw1298

this time i feal the need to find out how long my electric blue will hold those eggs in her mouth and will she keep the babies in her mouth ? we have a few generations but i seem to allways miss whats actually happening. it is a larg tank with alot of hidding spots. Anyone have africans that breed and can give me some answers?

gumbii

by gumbii

it all depends on the amount of eggs they give...

that's pretty much all i know... lol... and it's also all up to the female... if you want to keep the fry, build a tumbler or put her in a nother tank...

rw1298

by rw1298

yes your right i really upset my kids last time i pulled up a rock to see the fry because another fish just swam up and ate 3 of the babies right in front of the kids that was the last time i looked for fry....lol but i have no other tank now that my wife made me get ride of the sick tank.

gumbii

by gumbii

hahahsdjfasdl...

that's like when the neighbor was shooting birds in his yard and one landed in front of a couple of little girls... hahasd;ljfasdf...

rw1298

by rw1298

oh thats never good

dizzcat

by dizzcat

My 2 Electric Yellows have both spawned in the past 2 months. The first mama held for 21 days before they started escaping and she finally let them all go. She had 17 in all. The second mama just spit yesterday and she had (from what I can tell) 11 fry. She held them for 18 days.

I now have a 10 gallon with 16, 3 week old fry and 11 newborns! I need a bigger tank! How fun! I left each mom in the 10 gallon so they would not be hassled and so the fry would make it. The second mom hung out with the first mom's fry as she held. She will go back in the big tank with the grown ups in a couple more days.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Here's the different size kids hanging out together :-) The newest is on the bottom left.
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/photo-main.php/21553

rw1298

by rw1298

thats really good info.... great pic... she is in my 125 show and i am not sure i can even catch her without destroying my set up....lol...but i am getting a 12gal eclipse back from my friend and i am going to try to catch her .

rw1298

by rw1298

hey dizz i was looking at your pics... one of my yellows just turned his whole face blue ... whats the deal with that ... and by the way nice looking fish / tanks

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I found it actually fairly easy to catch my holding mama's. They seemed to give up very easy as oppose to when I have tried to catch them in the past.

My Male has developed what is called a beard and what I call his mustache! He looks so cool now. Some parts are a deep dark black, other parts are a blue color. You can see what I mean here: http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/photo-main.php/21374

I have 4 Electric Yellows now (with a number of fry). 1 male and 3 females. The male is very deep yellow with the black markings. 2 females are what is called the white belly morph, they are yellow with a white tummy. One of them has a strong half black dorsal and the other has weak black in hers. My 3rd female is all strong yellow with a hint of black in her dorsal. All my fry are from that papa. The older set are from one of the white belly morph and this new batch is from the lemony yellow one. Even now at 3 weeks the older fry are getting strong black in them. Some have the white some don't, but all have some black in the dorsal. All the newest batch I can tell will be the deep yellow with strong black too. He makes great baby's!

I will sent a link later to pics of all my yellows if you are interested :-)

13 posts • Page 1 of 2