Could I be overfeeding Rams?

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

The German Blues I got a few days ago are still looking well, their color is deepening and movement looks healthy. Breathing seems a bit aggrivated, but not nearly as bad as Tut was. I think when I put the top back on my tank I cut some of the light going to the plants so they're not producing as much oxygen...Might have to start running the bubbler during the day or finding a way to get more light in there..

Anyway, I was wondering if its possible that these fish will overeat? I hadn't noticed it before but I accidentally dumped too many bloodworms in the 30gal today and they continued eating for almost 5 minutes. I'm guessing like 10-20 worms went to each fish. This seems like a lot, though they're juvenile and need to grow. The celebes rainbows will eat a maximum of about 5 worms before they start spitting them out.

I have another fish in this tank which I know is known to over-eat, the striped raphael cat but I feed very sparingly after the lights are out since its a nocturnal fish.

J/w if anyone with GB Ram knowledge knows if its possible to overfeed these guys. I haven't really seen any indication while browsing online fish profiles. Thanks.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i think that in general all fish are glutens and will eat as much as they possibly can.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Well, I agree to some degree, but as I wrote above the celebes rainbows stopped eating looong before the rams. O.o Not only did they stop, they were sucking worms in and spitting them out, which isn't an action I'm unfamiliar with. Usually whatever they spit out becomes food for the corys and amanos.

I know in many species that idea of ''when's my next meal gonna be---maybe a month from now so I better gorge myself?'' instinctual survivalism kicks in, but I just wanna be sure I'm not gonna make my rams explode. I hated watching Tut die. These guys are right under blimpie in my book on the chain of most important fish. =P

3 posts