I may branch out to CO2, what do you think?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

zambize

by zambize

I've been experimenting with some live plants in a 10 gallon tank. I haven't done plants before. At the moment I only have Willow Hygro, Java Moss, and Petite Anubia in the tank. And the tank houses one Betta.

The lighting is a little weird. It's two Coralife, 10 watt mini-fluorescents. Each one is 50% 10,000K daylight and 50% Actinic 03 blue.

I'm considering adding CO2, although I know that my current plants don't require it. There is so much info about CO2 units, it's confusing. Is this unit http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/P ... catid=6318 as cheap and ineffective as it looks, or is ok for a 10 gallon?

Thanks

Z

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I don't know what to think about this system using tabs of co2. For years I didn't use it and growing plants like yours was so easy. The people at www.plantgeek.com forum are really into co2. They would be a good group to ask.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

basically looks like a smaller version of my diy

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I have been wanting to add Co2 to my 20 gallon planted tank too. My plants grow and all that with my basic lights and furts, but I know co2 would really make them explode. I don't have money to upgrade my lights or buy a fancy co2 kit. I tried the pop bottle home made reactor, but my issue is turning off the air stones during the day. And I also cannot figure out how to get the bubbles to break up. I got big bubbles like an air hose with no stone attached. I guess it does no good unless the bubbles are tiny.

ANYWAYS....... Z, I have found the very best furts are made from Seachem. Don't even bother with the other brands, they did nothing for mine. I mostly grow swords because I like the look better and hate the mess stem plants can make! My hornward made it look like tiny pine needles all over the tank floor!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

If you can run the bubbles through a powerhead the impeller will disperse the co2 pretty well. The venturi port of some powerheads can be used. There will be a bit of sucktion into the co2/yeast container, but if the container ratains it's shape there should be no suction of yeast and sugar water into the tank.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

I have a regular hang on the back type filter. Any suggestions? I keep reading to run it into a power head or a canister filter but nothing on a old fashioned hang on type with the water that flows out into the tank. :-(

I also like to keep the air bubble wall going in the back because it helps all the crud get sucked up into the filter intake. Without the air the crud settles more to my liking.

I REALLY want to use the home made reactor, but having brain farts as to how to make it work (tiny bubbles, more distribution, etc).

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Can you buy a small powerhead with air entrainment and hook the co2 up to that? Shoot the flow as low as possible so the bubbles have time to diffuse. I'd think this would work better than a bulkey diffuser.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Do you think it would work if I stuck the end of the hose into the filter uptake in the tank? Then the Co2 would have to go thru the propellers? Do you think that after going thru the filter media it would be useless? This has been my thought but not sure if it would work. My Rams and Angels would hate me if I added current to the bottom of the tank. :-(

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

uhhh.... the thing with the hob filter is most of the co2 would escape out of the back of the filter before it even made it into the tank......how i did mine... i had a random spray bar laying around then i shoved a bubble wand into the spray bar siliconed the end put in a T insert hooked one side to the c02 generator and the other into a air pump, so i get the Co2 and the air out of one unit, no need for a power head,
I have seen amazing growth in my plants since i did this.... it is pretty amazing

dizzcat

by dizzcat

Hey A1 you wouldn't have a picture of that would you? I am trying to imagine it and maybe I am too sleepy tonight but its not happening :-) It does sound like it would work. I don't have a spray bar tho, are they big? expensive?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2