planted tank?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

kei9th

planted tank?

by kei9th

my wife saw a complete planted tank.how hard are they, what do i need? ? the same stuff like my saltwater tank? filters, powerheads? lights can you keep any fish

gumbii

by gumbii

the way i see it... a planted tank is the freshwater equivelent to a sps reef tank...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

You can grow low light plants very easily for much less money than it takes to grow high light plants. I think some of the best plants are low light plants.

A high light tank requires constant fertiliser, expensive lights that need replacement every 8-10 months, there are algae issues, and most people also use added co2 which unless you are Ok with DIY and winging it like me the equipment is very costly.

A low light tank is amazingly easy. You don't need to add fertiliser. The nitrates from cycled fish waste is enough. You can use hardware store flourescents, there are less algae problems because there is no added fertiliser and the reduced light helps algae stay in check, and many low light plants will grow in any substraight you like. A low light tank is actually easier than a no live plant tank because the plants help clean the water by using up nitrates and they harbor benneficial bacteria which is what cycles the waste into nitrates.

Decide on how much you have to spend and we'll go from there.

zootycoonmaster

by zootycoonmaster

^ Agreed.

Basically you need lighting, CO2, and fertilizer.

Lighting gives the plants light (duh) and is part of the photosynthetic process. Low light is 1-2 WPG (watts per gallon), medium light is 3-4 WPG, and high light is 5+ WPG. The boundaries can be broken up a bit (e.g. 4 WPG could also be considered high light), but those are the basic guidelines.

CO2 gives the plants CO2 (duh again) and is also part of photosynthesis. You can go DIY (do it yourself) for about $5-$20, or pressurized for $200+. DIY you have to replace monthly, pressurized you have to replace every 1-6 months, depending on the size of the CO2 tank.

Fertilizer gives your plants macro and micro nutrients. Micro nutrients are nutrients such as nitrogen, potassium, iron, and phosphate that usually stay in the water column for a couple of days. Macro nutrients are nutrients such as copper, boron, magnesium, sulfate, etc. that plants absorb quickly and should be replenished daily.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yea, once you go balistic like Zoot and me with one tank it's a constant messing and adjusting and $$$.

I did grow tanks full, and I mean so full I had to weed out the over growth, with just a double hardware store flourescent. That's why I think it's helpful to separate the low light tank catagory which is easy and cheap from the high light tank: expensive and a pain in the ass.(till you get it right I guess)

With plants like anubias, java fern and moss, amazon sword, and many others grow quite well without co2. It's micrsword, baby tears, hairgrass, and other high light plants that seem to really need co2 to thrive.

planted tank?

5 posts